Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cats and Aerogarden  (Read 1489 times)
cpeterson
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: December 06, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »

Well, my cats have attacked the garden, only went after the two week old lettus. 

I'm now looking at getting the 3 teir wall stand to house my AeroGardens.  My concerns are, due to I'm living in an apartment, will the stand ruin my walls when I need to move, what kind of hanging device is it to hang on the wall.  I'm concerned cause I live in an apartment and don't want to ruin the walls. 

I have my aerogarden that is growing my tomatoes, they are untouched.  They didn't touch the herbs, but went directly to the lettus.  The one that is growing my lettus, was on my kitchen table till I could find a better, suitable place for them to grow. 
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »

Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

Hi Chadd!

Here is a link to the AG three tier wall unit discussion when I was thinking about getting one. Please note in particular Cliff's response about the weight of it and the necessity to attach it to a stud. Hope this helps.

http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,404.0.html

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
vickis
AeroGardener

Kudos: 18

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »

Smiley Some cats don't like to step on aluminium and there are some other products at Pet Co that is suppose to scare them from getting on items.
That might work for you.  The table is an invitation I think, the chairs are so much fun to play hide and seek on and they can all so use them as an attack zone.

1 classic, 1 6 pod and 2 Pro 200
braden
Sprout

Kudos: 2

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »

My "kids" didn't touch the lettuce I was growing. I'm now on the herb garden and the chives have been getting lower and lower each day. Damn cats.

AG should come out with a "mini mini" something that will just grow cat grass.
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 66

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:22 PM »

Would cats go after basil or parsley? I offered my cats a leaf of basil from my Classic Aero (kept in a room shut away from the cats) and they did not *seem* interested... plus, I tend to keep extra herbs in a mug of water on the counter and so far, so good. (See my avatar.)

But I am tempted to get a 3-pod garden, plant it with basil and have it out on the kitchen counter where the cats could, conceivably, molest it. So has anyone had their cats muss the basil? My cats are young and they like their greens... they will eat spinach when I give it to them.

Cynthia

Cynthia

3-AG6E+s, 2-Veggie Pros, 1-AG6E, 1-Classic, 2-AG3s

My grow log!
midwestside
AeroGardener

Kudos: 16

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »

My cat doesn't mess with my stuff, except when im doing maintence or watering.
I guess she thinks its a play thing.
She goes nuts when she hears water. (like seeks it out)
Jumps up on the sink and starts smacking the running water.
Shes the only cat I've ever seen play in the rain.  Cheesy
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:45:28 AM »

I can't believe I am so hooked on these things... I ordered myself a 3-pod for herbs. Hopefully I can keep this one in the kitchen without the cats messing with it... I could use the extra light in there.

But I guess if they bother it, it will have to go downstairs with the rest.

I'm not sure it's a good sign that my youngest cat was zooming around the Christmas tree tonight and talking loudly. She's the prime plant killer of the household and I'm sure she will be VERY interested in the new addition.

Cynthia

Cynthia

My grow log!
Tau
Seed

Kudos: 0

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »

In case people here don't know tomatoes plants, all parts, are toxic to cats, so please be careful about them being able to get near them. If they brush up against the plants the pollen could get on their fur and of course they lick it. I'm not sure how much it takes, so google plants toxic to cats.

graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »

In case people here don't know tomatoes plants, all parts, are toxic to cats, so please be careful about them being able to get near them. If they brush up against the plants the pollen could get on their fur and of course they lick it. I'm not sure how much it takes, so google plants toxic to cats.

I agree with this advice, that's why my tomato AG is in a closed basement room, away from the cats! I've also seen chives listed as a plant that can be toxic to cats, so people should be careful about those as well. I think it is because they are part of the onion/lily family and a lot of that is toxic to cats.

Google is definitely my friend when it comes to bringing plants into the house or growing them where the cats might have access!

Cynthia

Cynthia

My grow log!
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »

Here's a new one...

Today, I cleaned out my AG7 Classic and cleaned the pump. I'd set the pump filter aside on the counter and did all the pump disassembly and re-assembly, then I took the bowl and pump back down to the basement to do as the directions said and run the pump for three minutes without water, but with a couple drops of soap in it.

When I came upstairs, my pump filter was MISSING! I thought perhaps I'd somehow taken it downstairs or put it in the bowl and I looked, but no filter. I even checked the garbage disposal in case somehow I'd knocked in the sink. No filter.

Then it occurred to me that perhaps a cat had gotten it. So I started searching the floors and sure enough, found it halfway down the hall to the bedroom, LOL! Little buggers!  Grin

Cynthia

My grow log!
peznin
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 41

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »

I have a cat that will eat anything and everything left out in the open (bread, doritos, tomatoes, lettuce, biscuits...I even found a jalopeno on the floor once with bite marks in it).  Needless to say, I have been unable to grow herbs or anything of the like inside.  I have to keep my AG in the closet in my office to keep it away from her. This has been one reason why the AG has been so appealing to me - anything that would require natural sunlight would get eaten!  But my AG can happily chug along with its grow lights, uneaten.

Julie
One AG Deluxe (since Dec 07), one AG Classic (since May 09), one old school AG 3 (since Oct 09)

My AG gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/jsinger42/AerogardenPictures
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »

I have a cat that will eat anything and everything left out in the open (bread, doritos, tomatoes, lettuce, biscuits...I even found a jalopeno on the floor once with bite marks in it).  Needless to say, I have been unable to grow herbs or anything of the like inside.  I have to keep my AG in the closet in my office to keep it away from her. This has been one reason why the AG has been so appealing to me - anything that would require natural sunlight would get eaten!  But my AG can happily chug along with its grow lights, uneaten.

Yep... me too! One cat totally killed off a nice pachira good luck money plant I had by a sunny window, sigh. But with the AG I can happily grow stuff in a closed off room in the basement, sans sunlight, sans cats playing with or eating the plants.

It's odd though, one of my cats really, really usually goes after plants, but so far, my little AG3 on the kitchen counter with herbs is unmolested. It may be the plants are just too small at two weeks yet to be obvious to her. Or, herbs may not appeal. I tried it because I was able to leave cut herbs unmolested in a cup of water on the counter after harvesting. So far, so good.

Yet, when I tend my gardens, I open that basement door to find anywhere from one to three little noses pressed up against it! The kitties SO want to get in there, LOL!

Cynthia

My grow log!
msopinionated
AeroGardener

Kudos: 9

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

My brother's cat was a fan of houseplants, hence they don't have any, anymore. She does love lettuce. She is a hoot to watch, she puts it in between her two front paws and enjoys it.

Cynthia
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 03:25:49 PM »

One of my cats was delicately starting to "mouth" my one month old parsley the other night! I told her no and quickly gave her and the other cats a bowl of organic spinach leaves. They will happily munch on that and the parsley was saved, at least for now!

Cynthia

My grow log!
luvs2garden
Seed

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

I just got my aerogarden and cats have been my main concern.  I have 4 house-cats and one loves lettuce, etc.  I am thinking about making a wire screen to go around it.  It won't look good but will protect the plants.  I thought about the closet but I was afraid I would forget about the AG if it was out of sight. 

AeroGarden6
Melissa in Michigan
Forum Resident

Kudos: 125

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »

Braden and Everyone!  Just making sure that you know...

CHIVES ARE TOXIC TO CATS!!!!!!!! 

I always have some Catnip growing for my Boys, usually in a little pot next to one of my Aerogardens!!!  But, please, everyone, do be careful with the cats!  Also, Thank you to Tau for the warning about tomatoes!  Everyone, make sure to THROW AWAY the little green stem from the tops of your tomatoes, too, as those are toxic to cats and humans alike!

AG Pro100 (X2) (?)/(?)
AG Pro200 (X3) Catnip/Herbs/Herbs
VeggiePro  Salad Burnet & Red Rubin Basil
AG 3 (X4) Lavender/Lavender/Lavender/(?)
AG SS6 (X4) Herbs/Herbs/ (?) / (?)
Emily's Garden - Arugula

Herbs: Various Basil, Chives, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Savory, Parsley, Sage, and also Mesclun
Melissa in Michigan
Forum Resident

Kudos: 125

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »

Oh my!  I responded to this thinking it was a current thread...  a couple months old...  but just realized this is from 2009!!!   Shocked

I'm really sorry if this is a nuisance to anyone!  Although...  I must say...  Aerogardens and cats are two of my very favorite things!!!!!   Cheesy

AG Pro100 (X2) (?)/(?)
AG Pro200 (X3) Catnip/Herbs/Herbs
VeggiePro  Salad Burnet & Red Rubin Basil
AG 3 (X4) Lavender/Lavender/Lavender/(?)
AG SS6 (X4) Herbs/Herbs/ (?) / (?)
Emily's Garden - Arugula

Herbs: Various Basil, Chives, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Savory, Parsley, Sage, and also Mesclun
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »

Melissa, we all love to talk about our cats!  Cheesy

luvs2garden, I put my AGs in spots where there are no perches for the cats just like I put tall bookcases where there's nothing nearby for them to get up there.  So whether the AGs are on a shelving unit or a side table, I fill it up so there's no place for the cat to land.  This might not work for everyone, but I've had at least one AG running for a year and no issues.

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
luvs2garden
Seed

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »

Thanks MaryAnne.  As I write this I have one of my cats walking all over the keyboard!  I am searching for a spot in my house to move the AG if need be.  I am going to try the screen until I find the appropriate spot.  I also have goats- obviously not in the house! I spend many a day trying to outsmart them as they try to get into parts of the yard they shouldn't be in.   My pets keep me young!

AeroGarden6
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »

LOL - not sure if I could handle goats.  I once wore a nice wispy skirt to a zoo and had a hard time with a goat that kept trying to eat it.

I guess with four cats there's bound to be at least one that will be curious.  Hope the screen works out.  Smiley

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: