Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! My tomato plants are drooping!  (Read 2206 times)
oliverweagle
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: April 21, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »

My tomato plants (4 weeks old) look good - they are about 5" and 7" tall.  This is our FIRST aero garden!  But the leaves are droopimg.  (I pruned them 2 days ago in accordance with the instructions).  Should I be concerned?

All advice will be welcomed!

Thank you,

Ollie

* IMG_2215.jpg (39.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 149 times.)
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »

Tannaidhe
Sprout

Kudos: 4

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »

My first instinct would be to check the water and make sure it's got enough.  Once my herbs got about an inch or two tall, they started sucking the water down much faster than the programmed two weeks.
Xevus
Green Thumb

Kudos: 8

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »

After pruning there should be at least 5 main branches left. I don't see that on the picture.
TamiLynne
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 62

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

Xevus, perhaps Ollie is counting the suckers? They look too small to have been top-pruned to me, but I've only grown tomatoes twice (once was a HUGE failure the others were awesome!) I second the idea of checking the water level, they look thirsty to me!  Smiley

-Tami*
Tannaidhe
Sprout

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »

That's a good point, Tami...  for those who aren't familiar with tomatoes, what is in the photo probably looks like 6 branches, but it's only 3.  Each branch consists of a leaf frond, AND the small sucker branch.  If you hold up your hand with thumb, pointer finger and middle finger stretch up/out, that's what the branching looks like thumb is the leaf branch, pointer is the sucker, and middle finger is the main stalk.  _\|   Somewhat like that.

If that is the problem, I'm sure it will recuperate, though it may be a bit shocky for a while.  Keep on top of the water situation of course.
oliverweagle
Seed

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »

ooooh - I pruned too soon Shocked and now have to hope for a recovery.  Dang!  Well, in the meantime I will be sure to stay on top of the water situation.

By the way, in an aerogarden extra, what is the correct holes to use to plant the tomato pods in?  Is it extreme back left and right in the back row?

Thanks again for your help - I REALLY appreciate it!

Ollie Smiley

oliverweagle
Seed

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:37:16 AM »

..not only did I prune too soon - I "miscounted" the branches.  I will be exceedingly careful before I prune next time!
Tannaidhe
Sprout

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »

Hey, it happens.  I was so confused about how to trim tomatoes when I first planted my outside ones I was sure I'd end up killing my plants, but eventually I figured it all out and my poor plants managed to survive.  lol  Tomatoes are pretty tough little things.  Like I said, they may be shocky for a few days, but they will almost certainly recover.   Cheesy  And, now you know for next time!
khaleas
AeroGardener

Kudos: 3

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »

I have mine in the two furthest apart holes but I think the 'current' placement is the two furthest away front holes (or one to the right in the back and one to the left in the front. I don't think it really matters as long as they're not next to eachother.

2x Classic 7
2x Extra 7
Elite 6
3x Classic 3
hifilistener
Green Thumb

Kudos: 17

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »

I have mine in the left-rear hole, and the right-front hole.  The placement was based on the recommendation of the AG customer service people.  The problem is that the left-rear plant started growing at an angle, and eventually started to fall over because of the weight.  I have had to use three trellis cords to hold up the plant.

The front plant is growing straight up, and I have not needed to support the it with the trellis system.

Next time, I will plant the tomatoes in the end holes of the front row.
TamiLynne
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 62

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »

I've planted tomatoes (and now peppers) in the far left & right holes in the back. As they grow, I turn the pods daily so that they lean back and forth toward the light. With the toms I found that helped, once they got older they stopped leaning.
mstredoc
Seed

Kudos: 2

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »

That is an excellent idea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: