Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help with trimming dill.  (Read 4130 times)
mikroy
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »

hey guys i am having trouble with pruning my dill plant, im not to sure which part to cut and it is growing way to fast and i dont want to raise the light yet.thanks

aero 7
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »

bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »

Hi Mike,

I prune the oldest where they join to the main stem.  They're normally the outside stalks with new growth coming in at the center.  The general rule is to prune only one third at a time.

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
Tannaidhe
Sprout

Kudos: 4

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »

Yep, start with the outside and work your way in.  It's best, as bab said, to only trim up to 1/3 of the plant at a time, but you can usually get away with pruning almost all of a dill plant (and the same goes for parsley, which grows in a similar rosette pattern) AS LONG AS you do NOT cut the central growing tip; meaning, depending on where your plant is on the growing cycle, either the little bushy bright green leafstalk in the center, or the lower portion of the last leaf stalk to grow.  You do want to leave at the very least one fully formed leaf stalk to feed the plant while the next stalk grows.  If you intend to harsh-prune it like this, you may actually want to leave the very outermost leaf stalk or two, as they tend not to get as tall as the later ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: