Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my chives won't sprout  (Read 2580 times)
katiusciad
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: January 27, 2011, 07:39:36 AM »

hi everyone...have recently purchased the aero6spacesaver and all my herbs-basil, oregano, dill, mint etc...have sprouted nicely, but my chives haven't! its been almost two weeks...the only thing it grew on the top of the soil was a little white furry stuff-looked a little like mould? i removed it a couple of days ago and still nothing?
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:39:36 AM »

Tami
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 52

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »

When that happened to me, I contacted Customer Service and they sent me new pods.  I did it through e-mail but you can call as well.

Space Saver 6 - Dwarf Lisianthus
Tall (7 Pod) - Lisianthus
Tall (7 Pod) - Dwarf Phlox
Tall (7 Pod) - Salvia and Rose Babys Breath
3 Pod - at work - AG custom kit - Snapdragon and Vinca
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »

Chives are really easy to grow, but the germination is stinky.  Ag pods never worked for me.  I got my own chive seeds, and literally, I put about 12 seeds in each pod, and end up with about 4-5 that sprout.  I end up having to grow 3 pods to get enough to harvest for meals.  I have to snip a small amount off the tops of all 3 to get enough to use in a meal.  One pod doesnt do it.  I think they like drier climates, because my chives outdoors get neglected and thrive from April to November.  The aerogarden may be too wet for them to do well.  I tried to get mine replaced from customer service, and they blew me off. It was easier to buy a pack of seeds for $1 and plant my own.  Much better success rate.  That is what I am finding with most of my herbs - planting my own seeds has a much higher success rate.  I admit in the beginning, I fell for the ag kits, but now that I have baskets, empty pods, and seeds, my gardens do much better than when I bought the kits.  Plus, I am not paying $15-20 for stuff that costs less than $1 to do on your own. 
But call customer service anyway, and see what they will do.  They did nothing for me.  Undecided

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
katiusciad
Seed

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »

hi caroline...thx for the reply...so you keep your little plastic baskets and domes and just re-use and buy your own seeds? good idea! now i'm sorry i threw out my domes-do you absolutely need the domes to regrow again? do you put your own soil in the baskets?
katiusciad
Seed

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »

i just called and they're sending me a whole new 7 seed kit with no chives though-they're removing them from the herb combo!
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »

You really do not need the domes, but I still use them to start seeds - it seems to go quicker. YOu will need to get the new empty peat pods - try park seeds - seems to be the cheapest web site.  Certain seeds will not grow in the aerogarden - there is a list on the site of seeds that wont work.  Obvious ones are things that grow underground like onions and beets and potatoes - but others just don't like to be wet in a hydro setting.  You can sterilize the used baskets in bleach water, and reuse them.  I usually cut the circular bottom off when removing old pods, leaving the "legs" of the basket as loose prongs.  The new peat pods still stay put and will not fall out.  They do have split apart baskets that you can buy, but you really do not need them. I buy all my herb seeds, and pepper seeds (tall tomato and pepper plants are too big - must be dwarf sizes) online and in stores, and use them.  It works better and is cheaper.  You can grow some herbs like rosamary, and lettuces like spinach in a pot of dirt, using the overspill of light. 

Carolyn
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

I simply have not been able to grow chives other then the very first time three years ago.  Even then, they were puny.  but since that time, every single time, the pods get fuzzy and either nothing germinates or they sprouts die quickly.  I've even tried replacing them with my own seeds--no luck.  I've tried covering the hole with foil, which helps with the germination of cilantro and parsley--no luck.  I've given up on chives.

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:03 AM »

That is the reason that I have to put so many seeds into one pod.  It seems that there is less than 50 percent germination rate in the ag.  If I plant those same seeds outside, the will all grow.  I really think that they like drier conditions, but I have still been successful growing them.  They are slow to grow, very thin, and require constant top pruning to promote more growth.  If you just leave them without pruning, they will wilt and die.

Carolyn
jfelano
Green Thumb

Kudos: 14

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »

Chives were the most pitiful of all my herbs.  Not really worth taking up space in the Aerogarden imo. The best growers were Basil, Thyme, oregeno and dill.  Basil and Thyme were the most vigorous, I had to trim them every couple days cause they were out of control.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: