Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which tomatoes yield the most pounds per month?  (Read 1581 times)
raweater
AeroGardener

Kudos: 22

« on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »

Sorry for all my new posts in the last few minutes but my AG plants are growing well and I have questions.

Which tomatoes (either AG kits or your own seeds) yield the most pounds of tomatoes per month? I would rather plant the type that will get me the most tomatoes by weight.

Also, can I grow full size tomato seeds with the grow your own kit and would it make more or less pounds of tomatoes per month than cherry tomatoes?

Thanks

AeroGarden Extra #1: 4 Lettuces, 1 Red Rubin Basil, 1 Lime Basil, 1 Cilantro
AeroGarden Extra #2: 2 Mega cherry tomatoes
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »

wmwelch
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 98

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:01:20 AM »

The tomatoes that you would grow in the AG (dwarf type plants) have fairly small tomatoes; they are not those really large like the large but often tasteless tomatoes that you would get from the grocery store.  I really don't weigh my tomatoes; I just pick a few here and there as they become ripe.  As far as the most prolific tomato plant for the AG,  so far I have not discovered a more prolific tomato plant than the Mega Cherry tomato plant from Aerogarden.  Others have reported on these plants being rather long lived (Bobbie mentioned that she had one that lived for 14 months.) and having hundreds of tomatos over the life time of the plant. 

Any tomato plant that you are going to grow in an AG, even a tall AG, needs to be a dwarf plant, for a tall AG, I would aim for one that says 18 inches or less.  Frequently the tomatoe plants that say a max height of 24 inches just keep continually growing into the lights, and therefore, many potential blooms are lost.  I am not aware of a regular tomato plant that meets these requirements.  I have however started and heard of others starting regular tomato plants and other plants which were to be transplanted to a container or outside garden.  That usually works well, but a regular tomato plant would get too large for even a tall AG.  I have had issues with even dwarf tomato plants getting too large for a tall AG.

Wendy
Pro200 - Basil Genovese,lettuce leaf, lemon, cinnamon
Pro100 + ext arm -
Classic + ext arm -
SS6 - thyme and oregano
SS6 (2) -
SS6 - parsley
Elite 6 - 
Veggiepro - mega cherry toms
Veggiepro -
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »

I would do the mega cherries too.  You can save the seeds for your harvest, and keep planting them.  The regular cherry toms do not give enough for a family, and really, there is no plant that will give you pounds of produce.  It is more of a novelty thing to have juicy tomatoes in the house than to be a big producer like outside crops.  The big tomatoes do not grow well, as I have tried both ag kits and my own seeds. It is just too small for a large plant.  Go with the mega cherries, and you will get the most yield, but don't be surprised if you don't get bushels of tomatoes - that you need to do outdoors or in a green house.

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

I couldn't tell you in pounds--but last year's mega cherry tomato plant lasted for 14 months and produces literally hundres of fat, tasty juicy cherry tomatoes.  I did lose count, but it was easily 300 of them.  Never enough to make, say, a tomato sauce.  But three would make a really decent caprese salad.  Five or six chopped with onions, peppers and chilis would make enough salsa to top fajitas or burritos for two servings.  One or two were a nice punctuation on a salad.  And I'd be picking up to six at a time two or three days a week.

Some people have had success with the Ruby heirlooms that AG used to sell as full sized tomatoes.  I've tried twice and never got the to from past the seedling state--and each has been in a garden with a mega cherry that did (or, in the case of the second, seems to be doing) fine. 

For my first prolific plant, I used the AG tablets--even some that were practically dissolving!  I'm using AD liquid nutes for the second, which seems to be doing well.  I planted it in October, and noticed the first tomato this morning. 

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
wwwqueenlee
Sprout

Kudos: 7

Lee

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »

I have one that is beginning to bloom.  Misplaced the booklet that came with the package.  How much nutrient do you add when the light comes on, and do you need to hand-pollinate them?

2 Pro 200's; Mega Cherry; 1 flowers and 1 Salad Greens; 1 Veggie Pro - Cherry Tomatoes Red/Yellow; 2 AG 7 Classic - End of Herb Garden; salad greens; 1 AG 6 - new Herb Garden; 1 AG 3 Antics Ladybug - Vinca

"Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." 
J.W. Von Goethe
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »

You do need to pollinate them, I use and electric toothbrush.  My last plant was raised on AG's tables nutes, and it did beautifully.  I'm using AG's liquid nutes now, and it's not doing well.  I have two small tomatoes, but they're turning blakish-purple rather that red.  I'm not sure what's up with that. 

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
wwwqueenlee
Sprout

Kudos: 7

Lee

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »

Thanks Bobbie; do you use the 5ml packets or the 8ml packets.  I am using bulk with a syringe.  I just added 5ml because better too little than too much. but would like to know.

2 Pro 200's; Mega Cherry; 1 flowers and 1 Salad Greens; 1 Veggie Pro - Cherry Tomatoes Red/Yellow; 2 AG 7 Classic - End of Herb Garden; salad greens; 1 AG 6 - new Herb Garden; 1 AG 3 Antics Ladybug - Vinca

"Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." 
J.W. Von Goethe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: