Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Fuzz, mold?  (Read 13415 times)
mdsmithgarden
Seed

Kudos: 1

« on: July 10, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »

My aerogarden is about 4 weeks old and I've got a nasty batch of a white fuzzy substance growing on the stalks of my purple basil plants. At first it didn't seem to affect the plant but now the leaves are starting to look a little withered and sickly. I did make the mistake of taking off the labels for more room. I've tried scraping it off and rinsing it as well but it seems to come back.  Any ideas? None of the other plants seem to be affected.

Thanks!
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »

Joyce
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 48

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:18 AM »

That is white mold.  If you can cut of the leaves that have it do that asap.
The growing area is too humid.  Place a fan nearby so that it can circulate the air.  Not all plants are susceptible to white mold but basil is one that is.  Good air circulation is key to preventing this fungus.

Cliff
Green Thumb

Kudos: 15

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »

I have also successfully used a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, 1 to 1, to kill mold or fungus on the stems and leaves of plants.  I would suggest a light application using a q-tip.  Don't soak the q-tip so that you get the mix dripping off of it, but moisten it and dab it on the mold or fungus. 

Cliff

Cliff Olson
Customer Service Manager
AeroGrow International, Inc.
mdsmithgarden
Seed

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »

Thanks I've had the fan on them for a few days now and I swabbed with Peroxide 2 days ago. The mold seems to be coming back a little bit already but not nearly as bad as before. I'll try a few more applications of the diluted peroxide and let you know if it worked. 
Stormy
Seed

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:58:15 AM »

Ah, thank you!  I found some mildew on both of my Basil's this morning while watering.  I'll give both of these solutions a try.  I do live in an old southern home...and there isn't much air circulation in the area of the room where the garden is set up. 
Thanks again for the tips!
sprout83
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »

*Nods* having a fan on helps a lot.
Stormy
Seed

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »

So far these two solutions have helped keep the mold at bay.  I did see some very light fuzz again this morning, so did a second wiping with the 1-1 peroxide and water mixture. 

So glad it was an easy solution and I didn't loose the plants. 
ladyhobbit
Sprout

Kudos: 2

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »

I have this issue on the sponges and the stalks of my basil, chives, and most of the others. The problem is the fungus is now under the top level. My roots show fuzz and white powdery stuff on the sponges below the top deck. Not wanting to wait I swabbed them with the mixture. Is there a mild fungicide I can add to the water? Should I change the water out and put fresh in. There appears to be a thin layer of residue floating on top of the water. I thought it was residue from the nutrients.   Undecided

Please help. This is my first garden and I am worried it will spread to the second one next to it.
Stormy
Seed

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »

Well, sadly it seems I did not conquer the problem of the white fuzz/mold.  The peroxide and q-tip keeps it at bay for about a week only for it to bloom again quite acutely.  It is now prevalent in the water container and all over the root systems.  I've tried adding a slight bit of peroxide to the water, but it doesn't seem to be any help.  It is in a small room w/a ceiling fan and a small table fan located about 2 ft from the unit. 

Not sure what else to do...the root balls are too large to gently pull through the top.  I had read in another post to try and remove them, rinse them, sterilize the unit and then put the plants back into the clean unit...I may try this, may not...The plants themselves are doing OK.  I really only see the green basil and the chives suffering.  It's producing, but it's evident it is weak.  The other herbs are still growing strong and producing strong flavored plants.  I may just continue as I am until they die out and then start all over with a fresh batch. 

My main concern is I started tomatoes two weeks ago and I'm starting to see the fuzz on those pods as well. 
Perhaps I need to invest in a dehumidifier? 

gisette
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 46

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »

Hm, bummer, Stormy.

I have no idea what to do about the mold in general. But you could wash the roots without removing the pods from the grow surface. (Just lift off the grow surface and keep filling and dumping the bowl, with whatever mild cleaning agents you think are safe.) Though without detaching the plants, you won't really be able to clean out the water lines with bleach, huh... Although... most municipal tap water has chlorine (bleach) in it, just in very low concentrations. You might be able to raise the bleach dosage a little without killing the plants... though not by much, and then you'd want to rinse & refill again pronto.

Yeah, the new plants are kind of a problem, aren't they. Unless the spore source is controlled in the first AG, you may not be able to keep the infestation from spreading to the second AG. That one you could wash and bleach/clean completely though, and then... put it in quarantine?

I'm only guessing.  Huh Hope some of it helps.

Aerogarden Pro 100 since Nov'07, 2 Mini/3's Feb'08, Deluxe Oct'08
Peat
Forum Resident

Kudos: 49

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »

Stormy,

I guess you have read this thread already by the sounds of it? http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,619.0.html

As you are unable to remove your plants, I suggest a continuous treatment of hydrogen peroxide to your water. This stuff works wonders - it actively seeks out algae, pathogens, dead roots etc and kills them, it also will oxygenate your water giving better growth.

Have you decided if you want to get involved with doing all this, or, to just to let the plant run it's course? If you want some further help then I will go into this in more detail.  Smiley

2 AeroGarden Classics since April '08
Stormy
Seed

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:08:26 AM »

Thank you so much for the extra info. 
I did pull the grow surface up and use the spray nozzle on the sink to gently rinse the roots.  I was afraid to use bleach but I have an eco friendly dish washing soap and decided to use a small amount of that to wash out the water bowl and rinse, rinse rinse. 
I did this with both units, the herbs and the 2 week old tomatoes. 

After refilling the bowl and replacing the plants I first crushed and then diluted the nutrients in a small amount of warm water and then added it to the water bowl.  All of this was Thursday night, and now, Sat morning they seem to be in a bit of shock...not severe yet though [I do a lot of traditional ground gardening as well and expected some sort of shock from this process] I'm going to give it a few more days before I start adding a continuous peroxide solution to the regime. 

So, I'll give this another week or two and let you know how things turn out.  I'm hoping for the best, but if things do not work out, I can always sanitize really well and try again.  [perhaps w/the dryer cooler weather I'll have better luck]

Cheers all!
Peat
Forum Resident

Kudos: 49

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »

A little tip before you start the peroxide route...

Take your plants out, put in a fresh batch of water and add the peroxide to the water - usual dosage is 1 mL per 1 Litre, but check your instructions. The AG Classic/Deluxe/Pro series holds 3.2 litres.

Don't add your nutrients yet. Put the plant back in the bowl and switch everything on, leave this for a good half hour. Also, pour some of the solution down through your seed pods just to make sure. You will probably see lots of fizzing going on, this is good, the peroxide is attacking any 'nasties' in your AG.

Dump the whole lot afterwards, fresh batch in again and then add you nutrients.

After that, continue the treatment as per the instructions. Some say everyday, some say every 2,3 or 4 days.

2 AeroGarden Classics since April '08
Stormy
Seed

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

So, the tomatoes didn't make it.  They were either too young to take all the shock or there was too much damage already done.  I've been following the every other day schedule and I still have hope for the herbs.  Still looking a little weak, but the fuzzies are much less active...they don't really have time to be.  Off to get more nutrients, kinda blowin through them now. 
I'll keep ya posted on the 'operation' to let ya know if it is truly a success or not.
nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 55

To Protect and Serve Las Animas, Colorado

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

Well thats to bad Stormy.  Keep up the good spirit.

1 Black Deluxe since August 08' / 1  White Deluxe December 08'
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »

I am sorry Stormy. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your herbs. Will you be planting something else in the other garden?

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
RobinC720
Seed

Kudos: 0

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »

Stormy,

I guess you have read this thread already by the sounds of it? http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,619.0.html

As you are unable to remove your plants, I suggest a continuous treatment of hydrogen peroxide to your water. This stuff works wonders - it actively seeks out algae, pathogens, dead roots etc and kills them, it also will oxygenate your water giving better growth.

Have you decided if you want to get involved with doing all this, or, to just to let the plant run it's course? If you want some further help then I will go into this in more detail.  Smiley

How much 3% H2O2 would you recommend for the AG Pro 200 base for continuous treatment?  I put in 3 caps fulls a couple hours ago, I think the top of one of them is starting to droop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: