Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprouting Cilantro  (Read 9480 times)
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »

I don't know if this will help others, but I am successfully sprouting cilantro seeds in my herb/greens garden using the master gardener kit. I had a hunch after reading that cilantro does not like very wet conditions so I removed the dome from mine after the other plants had started sprouting in the garden. Since I am growing salad greens along with it, I removed the dome after about four days. Sure enough, the seeds seem to like the drier conditions along with the light coming from the grow lights.

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »

sprout83
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Thanks for the tip Ellen. Smiley
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:36:06 PM »

I am interested to see your results with your sponges and bio pods growing together. To me there is no difference so far..

Namaste,

Shane
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »

And I am interested to see that too Shane. You'll get plenty of eye candy from that one.   Wink

midwestside
AeroGardener

Kudos: 16

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »

I know cilantro is one of those "difficult" seeds. I've found that for certain seeds, ones with harder shells, like cilantro, you can kind of help nature along a little bit by diffrent germination techniques. One such example is by letting them soak and germinate in a cup of water. The other is the  moist paper towel inside a ziplock bag method, where you germinate the seeds in the dark in a kitchen drawer or cupboard.

I've pretty much given up on cilantro in general as something that you can keep around successfully. I've recently acquired a Vietnamese variety of coriander that never bolts, grows like crazy and never goes to seed.  Its called rau ram. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Coriander
It definitely has more of the taste of coriander seed than leaf cilantro, but works just the same in a recipe that calls for cilantro.
I purchased my plant off of ebay and have been using it without the fuss of cilantro for almost a year now.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »

Thanks for sharing that information John! Interesting stuff.

We also had another member contribute this information on seeds that like to be sprouted in the dark.

http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,646.0.html

nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 55

To Protect and Serve Las Animas, Colorado

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

Has anyone tried covering the cilantro and germinating it in the dark?  This is one herb that I use for salsa and am looking forward to growing it.  Hope we can find a way to grow it.

1 Black Deluxe since August 08' / 1  White Deluxe December 08'
DeniseM61
Sprout

Kudos: 0

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »

I received a chia pet herb garden for christmas and the cilatro sprouted right away.  What kind of problems can I expect with my aerogardens when I get them?  I love cilantro.
nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »

Cilantro does not seem to grow well in the AG.  Good luck if you try it.

rangergord
AeroGardener

Kudos: 13

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »

Love cilantro!  Will try it when I get a chance.  I grow a lot of it outdoors and it prefers cooler temperatures.  Another thing is that cilantro bolts to seed quickly with warm temperatures and a long photoperiod.  During the late summer and fall when the photoperiod is 12-13 hours instead of 16 or more, cilantro grows for much longer in the vegetative state and does not go to seed in the fall.  The yeild goes up alot.   If I find that the plants in my aerogarden bolt to seed too quickly, I am going to put my pro200 on Supergrow (24 hour light) and use a timer to set a shorter photoperiod.  This should work for basil and many other long-day plants. 
Aphraeleiss
AeroGardener

Kudos: 2

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »

I don't know if it's worth trying cilantro over and over again. I planted some outdoors and they all sprouted in about a week. Seems to grow well enough. I'm going to use the Aerogardens for other seeds. I've kinda just given up with cilantro. Unless someone tells me the yield is amazing, and I might try again.

Update: My cilantro sprouted in 4 days outside in the soil, so I don't think I'll be trying it in the Aerogarden after all.

Don't feed the troll.

Back to tap water for the calcium.
nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »

When trying to sprout ciloantro they need dark to sprout.  I don't know if the AG will work with the lights unplugged or not but you may try that.

Aphraeleiss
AeroGardener

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »

I covered the pod. I don't think the light/dark makes much difference for the germination. Chives are supposed to need darkness but mine sprouted with no trouble. Cilantro was just thrown out in the soil, loosely covered and came up in 4 days. I suppose if you only have the Aerogarden for indoors which is the whole point of having it you can try all kinds of ways to make it come up. I think a shallow tray on a sunny windowsill will be easier.

Don't feed the troll.

nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

Someone posted a list here some time ago of plants that need dark to germinate and cilantro was one of them.

Aphraeleiss
AeroGardener

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »

I don't think I'll take the list that seriously. I've googled and found conflicting opinions as to which herbs needed light/dark to germinate. It may have helped in some cases, but I think freshness of the seeds is more important. I don't even think cilantro likes it dry. I was watering it alot outside and it came up fine.

Don't feed the troll.

JellyDonut
AeroGardener

Kudos: 10

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

I think some of the seed sprouting issues some see with the Aerogarden kits may be related to the glue they use to hold the seeds in the pods.  My chive seeds were all stuck together and some molded over because they appeared to be covered in a layer of glue.  When one sprouted, it pulled the other ones out of the ground with it because they were all stuck together.  I've since removed those seeds and have dropped in my own to see if it makes any difference.

3 AG6 Elite +'s and 1 AG6 Elite
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »

Hmmm...that could be.  I had only two chives sprout, and both are pretty peaked.  I pulled somethign like 7 ungerminated (and very fuzzy) seeds out.  The rest of the garden is doing beautifully. 

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: