Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garden Lighting Indoors?  (Read 1332 times)
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« on: June 25, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »

I was at Home Depot last night looking for some decorative lighting for this winter to try some container gardening indoors.

Joyce and Sprout have had luck with flourescent lighting indoors. Has anyone tried or does anyone have an opinion on how halogen lights might work for this purpose? I am looking for something somewhat inexpensive that maybe would stand on the floor and the plants could be placed under it? Kind of a mimic to an aerogarden hood on a larger scale.

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »

Joyce
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 48

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »

The Aerogarden uses a fluorescent bulb.  You can buy compact fluorescent bulbs and screw them into any lamp you purchase.  The thing is you want to keep the bulb pretty close to the top of the plant and you want to buy bulbs that have full daylight spectrum.  Actually for green growth plants use the blue spectrum and for flowering and setting fruit they use red but if you have a powerful full spectrum you should do ok. 

Another good option is aquarium lighting.

Halogen gets very hot and will burn your plants if they get too close to it.  It also uses quite a bit of electric.  And you have to careful to keep it away from anything flammable.  I donít know that they wonít work but be careful with them if you decide to go that route.

And if you do youíll have to let us know how they work out for you.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »

I did not know I could do the flourescent bulb in a decorative fixture. I will definitely ask about that. I am thinking a gooseneck of some type that I can adjust according to plant height. Thank you Joyce!  Smiley

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
Joyce
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 48

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

A gooseneck is good because you can adjust it.   And yes you can do compact fluorescent in just about any lamp.  I put them in my ceiling fans, almost every lamp in the house.  They now have dimmable ones, 3 ways which are great for my nice lamps.  They come in soft white so they're not so harsh looking.  You don't want the soft white for plants though.  The even come in the pointy candle light shape (I have 3 of them in my lampost outside).  Take a look at them the next time you're in home depot.   

The other options for plants are very expensive, need a fan running to keep them cool and require special fixtures which are big and ugly.

Of course, there maybe something out there that I don't know about so if anyone knows of good lighting solutions I would really love to hear about it.  I have that baby banana plant I'm going to need lots of light for.

BTW... I have already tried LED and I found it ok for seedlings but not so great after that.
harrywaless
Seed

Kudos: 0

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:08:07 AM »

The thing is you want to keep the bulb pretty close to the top of the plants and you want to buy full-spectrum lamps in broad daylight. In fact, the use of green plants growth and flowering blue spectrum and a red fruit that they use, but if you have a powerful full spectrum you should do OK.

Tannaidhe
Sprout

Kudos: 4

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »

Joyce...  when you say you've tried LED, how long ago was that, and was it white LED 'bulbs' or the colored panels specifically for growing plants?

I did a fair amount of research on plant lighting, wanting to find a solution other than the AG, since they really are kinda expensive, and time and again kept coming back to the LED panels.  Almost no heat, low cost (both initially and in electricity used), long lasting; and, I read several cases of people doing comparative tests of various kinds, and each time the LED panels came out well ahead of any of the other options tried against, including fluorescent, halide, or halogen.

The only downside is that all I can seem to find of them is free-hanging panels.  I did consider trying to strap one on the bottom of an AG hood somehow, though!  lol
aomega
Seed

Kudos: 2

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

I have been wondering about LED lighting. This product looks like it could replace the hood of an Aerogarden. It has its own timer.

http://www.hydroponicsfarming.com/product-513.html

A bit pricey, but over several years it might pay for itself as compared with the CFL bulbs - and be better for the environment.

ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:57:25 AM »

I have an LED light, and found that it was easy, if you have spare closet space.  I hung the light from hangers in the closet, and put the plants underneath - the adjustments were easy, because you just shorten or lengthen the string as the plants grow.  Plus, you can close the closet doors to keep light in. I am working on a way to change over from the aerogarden bulbs.  I will not spend $300 on another light, which defeats the purpose of trying to save money on buying ag bulbs. 

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
Tannaidhe
Sprout

Kudos: 4

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »

This is the LED panel that I was considering:  Sunshine Systems GlowPanel.  It's relatively inexpensive ($50) and I think about the right size to replace an AG hood (right at a foot square), though it does not have a built in timer.
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »

I have the glow panel 45 - it was slightly more, but I won it in a contest. It works well, and will be what replaces my grow lights when they are no longer good.

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
singlee
Seed

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »

Indoor lighting,I'd prefer Led lighting.
Cherilyn
Seed

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 06:55:59 AM »

LED bulbs have a light life that is far longer than traditional lighting fixtures outdoor led lighting require less energy, making them economical, as well as practical.

singlee
Seed

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 06:58:47 AM »

But how can i get a qualified Led?
irine
Seed

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »

But how can i get a qualified Led?
check the warranty period of each manufacturer.
LED lighting is the best if you can find lighting fixtures with 5mm Dip round LEDs.
you should not use SMD LEDs, because they emit heat.
check this site: http://www.ledlighting5.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: