Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow bulbs  (Read 3813 times)
babyblue007
Sprout

Kudos: 0

« on: May 11, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

Do you guys promptly replace the grow bulbs after 6 months? Is there any cheaper alternative?
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

Grasshopper
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 67

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

I don't change the bulbs every six months.  A few members have attempted to modify their AG, but no one has found any bulbs that fit the AG without significant modifications.
babyblue007
Sprout

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

Thanks, one of my AG3's bulb light came on, I think I will ignore it for now then.
woombagoomba
Seed

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:16:15 AM »

Do you guys promptly replace the grow bulbs after 6 months? Is there any cheaper alternative?

Good luck finding bulbs. I love my aero but they have change their policys and are no longer allowing anyone else to sell their light bulbs. Cant get one anywhere not even aerogarden has them my plants are dying and I am thinking of going to another product at this point..
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »

If your bulbs did not burn out, you can use it for another few months.  It does get weaker, and the color changes, but they still grow.  Woombagoomba, you will learn to stock up on bulbs.  you never know when you will need them, and it is always good to have backups.  Aerogarden takes so long to ship anyway, so having a backup pair is always a good idea.  You can go to the hardware store and try to find a fluorescent bulb to put in next to them for the time, or put in a sunny window.  That way they will not die.  DId both your bulbs burn out at the same time???  You can change to another product, but that will not save your plants.

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
Tin Man
AeroGardener

Kudos: 39

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »

I've heard people say they use the older, dimmer bulbs on seedlings and then switch out to newer bulbs later on to save money. Makes sense, if I hang on to my AG long enough I'll try that.

SS6 with Romaine kit.
babyblue007
Sprout

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »

Hey, thanks for the tip on using dimmer bulbs on seedlings! I have so many bulbs stocked up now, haven't need to replace yet. Base/pump on the other hand is totally different story.
CFHayes
AeroGardener

Kudos: 19

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »

Why would you want ever to use a dim bulb?  If the bulbs are dim, your plants will grow slower, and they will be spindly and pale.

Chris
AeroGrow Intl Customer Service
Four classics (Territorial Blush Cos and something else), Flower hodge-podge, Gourmet Herb, one AG non-functional.  Veggie Pro with Ruby HL, AG6 Elite + with Mountain Meadow or something
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »

Why would you want ever to use a dim bulb?  If the bulbs are dim, your plants will grow slower, and they will be spindly and pale

Stated from a true salesman.

Chris,
Some of us that have many units stretch the life of the bulbs slightly past the 6 month mark to save money - $15 a set X many units adds up fast. 

I have experimented with mine, and by 8 months, they really need to go - color changes - but at 7 months, they still grow well.  I save my older bulbs in a box just in case I get to a point that I cannot get them from ag, and do not want dying plants.  I always have spares, but you never know what may happen. 

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
Melissa in Michigan
Forum Resident

Kudos: 125

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »

Please forgive me for straying somewhat off topic...  I was wondering something...

Just the other day I had to replace one of my bulbs, as it was burnt out... and I realized that I have a whole box of boxes of burnt out bulbs, as I do not know how to properly dispose of them...   Huh  thus, I have never done anything with them... 

Can anyone please tell me how you dispose of your burnt out bulbs?

Perhaps, we could suggest to Aerogarden that they give a little "discount" for every three or so bulbs that are returned to them...?
I imagine that there may be some components to the bulbs that could be reused or recycled...

Just a thought!   Wink

AG Pro100 (X2) (?)/(?)
AG Pro200 (X3) Catnip/Herbs/Herbs
VeggiePro  Salad Burnet & Red Rubin Basil
AG 3 (X4) Lavender/Lavender/Lavender/(?)
AG SS6 (X4) Herbs/Herbs/ (?) / (?)
Emily's Garden - Arugula

Herbs: Various Basil, Chives, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Savory, Parsley, Sage, and also Mesclun
CFHayes
AeroGardener

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

You can dispose of old bulbs at Home Depot; all of their stores have a bin next to the main entrance to drop them in.  It's free.

Chris
Four classics (Territorial Blush Cos and something else), Flower hodge-podge, Gourmet Herb, one AG non-functional.  Veggie Pro with Ruby HL, AG6 Elite + with Mountain Meadow or something
CFHayes
AeroGardener

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »

Carolyn,

Thank for the explanation.  I totally get what you are saying. However, I was responding to the word "dim", and bulbs at 6-7 months old are rarely dim.

Chris
Corinne
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 373

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

Any new seed kits for flowers coming out for the Fall, CF?
Can you give us a 'hint'?

and I quote:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
MY VERY FIRST AEROGARDEN PROJECT
http://www.labordaytomatoes.blogspot.com
CFHayes
AeroGardener

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »

I know what we're working on, but timing is unpredictable.  Vinca seems likely for the fall catalog; we've had some test varietiesgrowing around the office,and they are BEAUTIFUL!  Shiny green leaves, abundant perpetual blooms, and they keep going for a long time. Vinca is another spotty germinator, but you only need two plants in an AG6 or 7 to completely fill the grow deck, and beyond.  Sunflowers are being tested now for viability - can't see how they'd be out by fall.  We will be offering a catnip kit, by the way.  Other news: some of the off-the-shelf herb kits are being reworked without parsley and chives (surely you know why), and we will probably begin to ship parsley and cilantro replacement pods without pre-seeding them.  We think one reason they are troublesome germinators is because the rice glue we use to keep the seeds inside the pod inhibits sprouting.  Other flowers are being tested, but many will never make it into a seed kit -

Chris
Corinne
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 373

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »

Thanks for whetting the appetite! I am looking forward to the Vinca for sure!

and I quote:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
MY VERY FIRST AEROGARDEN PROJECT
http://www.labordaytomatoes.blogspot.com
iloveGarick
Seed

Kudos: 2

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:09 AM »

Maybe it doesn't look as pretty, but one trick that I've tried is to simply surround my AG unit with aluminum foil. I figure that there's a lot of light going to waste and this way it gets redirected back at my plants. I know that some others have simply placed their other houseplants around their units to benefit from the overflow as well.

I just think that encasing the open middle section by taping down some aluminum foil seems to be the most efficient way of recycling the light to its maximum potential.
CFHayes
AeroGardener

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 06:35:12 AM »

Something else that works is mylar; you get about 96% reflectivity, way more than foil.  You can cut a piece about 13 inches long by 33 inches wide, and then cut lengthwise strips 1 1/2 inches wide leaving a couple of inches at the top uncut so you can tape it around the perimeter of the hood.

Chris
butterflygirl
Forum Resident

Kudos: 92

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:30 AM »

Something else that works is mylar; you get about 96% reflectivity, way more than foil.  You can cut a piece about 13 inches long by 33 inches wide, and then cut lengthwise strips 1 1/2 inches wide leaving a couple of inches at the top uncut so you can tape it around the perimeter of the hood.

thanks for the info Chris.  I was actually looking at mylar today to see if I could do something like that.  Grin

AG7 3-bulb (x3) : Herbs, Red sails lettuce, teacup tomatoes (1 red, 1 yellow)
AG 3 (x3): Lavender, catnip, primrose
Tall AG  Chili Pepper kit
Tall AG (x3):  Mega Cherry Tomatoes
Tall AG:  kohlrabi
AG 7  2 bulb:  toy choi
AG 7 2 bulb (1 AG bulb, 1 CFL): Red sails lettuce
Patty
Sprout

Kudos: 2

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »

There are testimonials on the AeroGarden wiki from people that have had good success using the bulbs beyond 6 months.

http://aerogardeners.wikia.com/wiki/AeroGarden_Grow_Lights#Can_grow_lights_be_used_beyond_6_months.3F

AeroGarden 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: