Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Grow lights  (Read 3454 times)
goodgal
Forum Resident

Kudos: 61

Life is good!

« on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/catalog_order.asp?GUID=502D8CED-D826-41E0-95B5-8A8385BDAF61&DL=OVI1

if you go here and use the blue code: j5c2-1430

and item # j5-60881

You'll find a pair of led grow lights for 14.99 each.  With the free shipping, and only 2.50 handling.

These sound good, but I've been fooled before.

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
mini ag 3  Tiny Tim Tomatoes
6 pod classic
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »

shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:23:09 AM »

they are only 50 watts equivalent. that means in actuality they are probably 12 watt leds.
You would need quite a few to grow anything past lettuce. i would pass on these.

when you are looking at bulbs for growing, you look for 6500k and 2700k bulbs. or red and blue as they said in their add.  check out compact florescence or CFL's at 1000bulbs.com

Namaste,

Shane
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »

Gheeze, Shawn.  This is so confusing! Huh  I found some pot growers that are very particular about their hydroponic lights.  lol  This is going to take a lot of digesting to figure it out.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Grin

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »

LOL  I'm still confused.  I see Wallmart has both 2700k and 5600k bulbs.  But the only info I can find is to grow pot.  They says you need boo-coo bulbs.  I'm thinking of a small pot of veggies or flowers.  How many would you use per plant?  Any ideas???

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »

make it easy on yourself and just find a 42 watt 6500k cfl (equivalent to 150 watts) from 1000bulbs.com , go to home depot and get a plug in reflector for shop lights and screw the light bulb in and clip it over the plants. The more of those you have the better, but one would do the trick.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/42-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Work-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg8Zaqn9/R-100664145/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Namaste,

Shane
ivankov
Green Thumb

Kudos: 9

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

so that CFL would work better than LED?
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »

I have heard nothing good about the leds.. I think its a novel idea but just isnt dependable yet. I welcome any new info about them.. As i would love for the technology to work but dont believe its evolved enough yet.

Namaste,

Shane
wmwelch
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 98

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

Goodgal,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth on the lights.  While I have never used the LED grow lights, I have used lights purchased from Home Depot and Lowes for starting and growing several different type of plants.  Originally I was trying to find something similiar to the AG lights, so I was looking for CFL's in the 6500K light spectrum range.  There are not as many of these available as you might imagine walking into a local hardware store such as Lowes or Home Depot.  I ended up purchasing some daylight spectrum, 6500K, 23 watt (equivalent to 100 watt standard bulb), 1600 lumens bulbs which happened to be a Bright Effects brand, these were from Lowes.  I was able to successfully start a basil transplant first in water, then moved to an AG for a little while, until I then moved it plus some lettuce pods into a simple homemade setup using the same nutrients as I was using in the AG with an airstone, and using a clamp lamp with one of these bulbs.  This setup worked just fine to keep the lettuce and the basil transplant growing.  Later I purchased from Home Depot some Ecosmart daylight CFL's, 27 watt (equivalent to 100 watt standard bulb), and 1750 lumens which is the light output.  I am currently using either of these bulbs for growing other greens such as swiss chard, collard greens, and mustard greens.  I used a Parkseed Bio-dome to start these greens in Parkseed plugs and then transplanted them into peat pots, and I have continued using water with the same nutrients like I used in the AG.  I typically alternate with plain water, but I have basically been placing the peat pots in a larger container where I pour a little water in the bottom.  I have been keeping a single clamp lamp with one of the above mentioned bulbs shining on each of the larger containers on about the same schedule as my AGs, and all of the little plants are growing well so far.

Wendy
Pro200 - Basil Genovese,lettuce leaf, lemon, cinnamon
Pro100 + ext arm -
Classic + ext arm -
SS6 - thyme and oregano
SS6 (2) -
SS6 - parsley
Elite 6 - 
Veggiepro - mega cherry toms
Veggiepro -
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »

That is interesting!  I have a Natural light bulb, energy saver that says it has 75 watts of light from a 20 watt bulb.  I bought them for my most used areas, because florescent light makes me feel nauseous.
Voltage is 120V
light output is 1200 lumens
energy used is 20 watts
life is 6000 hours

I may try to grow lettuce with this and see how it goes. Smiley

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
wmwelch
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 98

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »

Goodgal,

That sounds like a good experiment.  When I went looking for lights, I was looking for something in the range of 1500 lumens.  I don't remember the exact specs for the old and the new AG lights, but perhaps the specs from your CFL lightbulb are somewhere close to the specs for each of the old AG bulbs?  If so, they probably would work for something like lettuce.  I wouldn't try it for something like a tomato plant though as I suspect that there would be a higher light requirement, and you would probably run into the need for light in the 2700K (flowering and fruiting) and 6500K (vegetation) ranges.  I know that you said this was a natural light which would tend to make me believe that it was 3500K or greater, but did the packaging actually spell out the kelvin temperature ie such as 6500K?

Wendy
Pro200 - Basil Genovese,lettuce leaf, lemon, cinnamon
Pro100 + ext arm -
Classic + ext arm -
SS6 - thyme and oregano
SS6 (2) -
SS6 - parsley
Elite 6 - 
Veggiepro - mega cherry toms
Veggiepro -
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »

No temp specs.... that's why it'll be an experiment. Smiley Grin Grin Grin

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
ivankov
Green Thumb

Kudos: 9

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »

Guys the package might not say the temperature "6500k". Open the box if you can and look at the base of the actual bulb. That does say. Get either 6500k or 2700k. Dont get anything in between. Your just not getting enough of either spectrum. Its kinda in the middle. The wording DAYLIGHT is always 6500k in my experience.
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »

I'll check. Thanks for the hint!   Grin Grin Grin

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
Corinne
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 373

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »

Is that to boost your machines or with another system,gg?

and I quote:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
MY VERY FIRST AEROGARDEN PROJECT
http://www.labordaytomatoes.blogspot.com
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »

Corinne, I want to make a homemade hydroponic unit....... but will test this bulb I have used over some micro toms in soil when I get some seeds.   I was reading up on them, and they don't seem to need as much light as other tomatoes.  I'll also grow some micro toms in aerogarden at the same time so I can compare.  Not sure when I'll do it yet, as the mind wants more than the body can handle sometimes.  Roll Eyes

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
Corinne
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 373

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »

I admire your daring and wanting to try out new things, gg.
I am not that adventurous.
Today I planted a new AG3 of Lisantium and around that and also another
sprouting garden I put up a reflecting foil screen as well as changing the bulbs $$$.
I don't know if the foil will have any beneficial effect, but we'll see..

I would like to set up one of those rubbermaid-y type grow systems with the grow pebbles just for fun, but I have no where to put the tub..never mind the light..and all the outlets in the house are full!!! I am an addict. Roll Eyes

and I quote:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
MY VERY FIRST AEROGARDEN PROJECT
http://www.labordaytomatoes.blogspot.com
Tin Man
AeroGardener

Kudos: 39

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »

I've been keeping up with LEDs in the aquarium hobby and right now they are so weak and expensive that buying enough to make it work doesn't make sense for me. I think the major use for them right now is for these weak blue "moonlights" that you use to spy on your fish at night.

The way LEDs are described is very confusing, it seems very easy to make a mistake. I think it will be years before I buy my first one.

SS6 with Romaine kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: