Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pruning Thyme  (Read 1879 times)
alihawk
Green Thumb

Kudos: 5

« on: April 24, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prune the thyme? Right now its doing great, but its just a big tangled mess really...

Thanks
 Huh

Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »

TamiLynne
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 62

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

Hi alihawk,
I do a lot of cooking with thyme so I'm harvesting more than pruning, but it's basically the same. If you're gentle you can untangle each stem and see what you're dealing with as far as length. I tend to cut the longer twisty ones way back, as well as any reaching higher than the main clump or any reaching out to other areas of the garden. Cut just above a set of leaves. If I keep on top of it, it's a nice little bunch and not an out of control mess. You'll see new growth at each cut really quickly. Mainly I try to stay ahead of it by separating out the stems so they don't knot up as they grow.
Hope that helps a bit! I'm sure those more experienced will chime in..

-Tami*
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »

I prune mine by eating it!

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
alihawk
Green Thumb

Kudos: 5

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »

LOL yes eating it would probably be the best way Wink

Thanks everyone!
 Grin

Amy185
Green Thumb

Kudos: 11

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »

Hahah, if your lazy like me you could just do what I do Smiley  I just grab the whole clump, kinda pull it straight up in the air, but not too hard, then cut about 1/2" or so down from the tips.  It actually does really well growing afterwards. 
Sometimes I do just cut each stem about a set of leaves as well.  But other times I'm just not in the mood to be sitting there cutting for 10 minutes!!
butterflygirl
Forum Resident

Kudos: 92

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »

Hahah, if your lazy like me you could just do what I do Smiley  I just grab the whole clump, kinda pull it straight up in the air, but not too hard, then cut about 1/2" or so down from the tips.  It actually does really well growing afterwards. 
Sometimes I do just cut each stem about a set of leaves as well.  But other times I'm just not in the mood to be sitting there cutting for 10 minutes!!

ditto...LOL

AG7 3-bulb (x3) : Herbs, Red sails lettuce, teacup tomatoes (1 red, 1 yellow)
AG 3 (x3): Lavender, catnip, primrose
Tall AG  Chili Pepper kit
Tall AG (x3):  Mega Cherry Tomatoes
Tall AG:  kohlrabi
AG 7  2 bulb:  toy choi
AG 7 2 bulb (1 AG bulb, 1 CFL): Red sails lettuce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: