Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: info on grow lights?  (Read 3880 times)
Lunatik
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »

Hi All,

first post, on the site!....

anyway,
Ive got an AG classic, love the system, but don't like the height, so im going to build a new system, info on the AG CFL's are some what limited, all i can find is that they produce a full spectrum, i like lights, so im looking to imitate them with a  2' Flo's (for the baby's)  and 4' Flo lights for the adults, probably with a T8/T12 ballast. going to be growing peppers
(jalapeno's and habanero's =]), and full size tomato plants ..  from my research on some "name brand" flourescent grow tubes it looks like they are rated 6500k or an arctic style white tubes around 40 watts for the 4' tubes and 20 watts for the 2' tubes. ive been told that i need to mix up the lighting a little bit and include one warm white, below 3000k to encourage the plants to produce. this is the info ive gathered so far, hopefully someone can help me solve the problem with there solutions or suggestions on lighting combination's, only other thing i could make since of all this lighting jargon is that the more lumans in the cool spectrum the better?
also im trying to do this on the cheep!!!

anyway, thanks for everyone's time!
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »

bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:28:04 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

I find the whole lighting situation confusing - hope members will have some answers for you.

I've been using some daylight and full spectrum CFLs to do additional growing, just salad for now, and found this post very helpful "http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,3373.0.html".

Good luck with the peppers and full size tomatoes!  Smiley

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
Lunatik
Seed

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »

makes allot more since to use CFL's much more concentrated light. i could only find about 1000 lumans per 2' tube, max without upgrading to an HO ballast. thanks guys
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »

I used to use 6500k for veg and 2700k for flowering when needed. Pay attention to the actual watts and not the equivalent rating. lumens do not add as watts do.

I have most experience with t5's and CFL's.  I used three 42 watt 6500k cfl's for my last home built hydro box.

Namaste,

Shane
Lunatik
Seed

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »

ok cool, so i dont need to invest in the warm bulbs till im ready to produce the tomato's etc. just need the 6500k for growth? that link provided earler has some good suggestions on bulbs, i will probably go with something similar. do the 42 w 6500k cfl's have a noticeable effect over the AG lights time wise?

thanks!
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »

The 42 watt cfl's have a lifespan of 10,000 hours I THINK. they last at least as long as ag bulbs do if i remember correctly. Yes the 6500k bulbs in whatever wattage you pick will do the trick. I like the cfl's because you do not need a special ballast. You will see much better growth with that amount of light. 

Namaste,

Shane
CO2XXX
Seed

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »

I just completed a crop 7 weeks seed to harvest with a Sunleaves TT55 full spectrum (6500k) cfl.
It did great with the veg state and the bloom state 1 2’ light with 2 bulbs. Each bulb looks like 2 bulbs and its pushing 55 watts per bulb. 1400 lumens over all? 100$ for the light and only 14$ for a pair of replacement bulbs.

But I did use this light along with my aerogarden 7 in a grow tent. I’m a beginner. If it gets any better than this I won’t be able to stand it. But.
A Bloom light is on my wish list “Sunleaves led” I’ll have to wish on for now to pricey.

http://www.4hydroponics.com/clone/sunleavesNova.asp

AeroGarden 3
AeroGarden Deluxe
Lunatik
Seed

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:23 AM »

thanks for the info, i started to build my homemade grow lights yesterday, so far for the fixture its runnnig $20 bucks, as for the CFL lights about $10-20 a piece which should put out about a total of 4400-4800 or so lumans at 6500k,

Some interesting news on the CFL's that people might want to hear, i shopped all day for them and couldn't find the ones i wanted!!! i tried home depot, lowes, ace hardware and a few local places, and nothing, so if you do decide to build with CFL's that pull over 40 watts visit your local bulb suppler!!!! it will save you allot of time and hassle!! a good reference site is http://www.1000bulbs.com/Screw-In-Compact-Fluorescents/ or the GE sitehttp://genet.gelighting.com/LightProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=CONSUMERLANDINGPAGE&CATEGORY=Lamps&CHANNEL=Consumer or sylvania site http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/LightingForHome/Rooms/, i think this suggested setup will work much better and will be allot cheeper then buying a premade one. i think in total they pull .5 amps each bulb at 42 watts which is purtty good, so you can daisy chain these up and still not pop a breaker.
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

I have bought a bunch of bulbs from 1000bulbs.com . i can say they have good customer service and pack really securely.

Namaste,

Shane
goodgal
Forum Resident

Kudos: 61

Life is good!

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »

There are so many 5600K bulbs to pick from, and all different prices.  This one is less than 7.00.  Would this work?

Stock Code: FC09-MS65
9 Watt - 40 W Equal - Full Spectrum Daylight 6500K - CFL Light Bulb - TCP 48909-65

■Brand : TCP
■Part No. : 48909-65
■UPC : 10762148115462
■Wattage : 9 Watt
■Voltage : 120 Volt
■Base Type : Medium (E26)
■Bulb Color : Full Spectrum Daylight
■Bulb Shape : Spiral
■Dimmable : No
■Color Temp. (Kelvin) : 6500K
■CRI : 82
■Diameter : 1.8 in.
■Length (M.O.L.) : 3.6 in.
■Incandescent Equal : 40 Watt
■Life Hours : 12,000
■Lumens (Initial) : 600
■Start Temp. (Min) : -20 Deg. F
■Start Temp. (Max) : 160 Deg. F
■Warranty : 15 Months
■RoHS : Compliant
■UL Listed : Yes
■Case Quantity : 24

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
mini ag 3  Tiny Tim Tomatoes
6 pod classic
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »

for growing most plants i would think about getting a stronger bulb. that one is only 9 volts where as i used three 42 watt bulbs CFL's for my pepper experiment. pay attention to the voltage of the bulbs. not the equivalent values. they are no use. but you did pick the correct kelvin range. 6500k for vegetative growth.

A 23 watt bulb (cfl) is also a good choice. I made my own light fixture with a vanity bar and a lamp cord. then i used Y splitters and used 6 23 watt bulbs. if your interested i can take pictures of my lighting setup to give you a cheap solution for indoor growing.

the vanity bar costs 20 dollars, the lamp cord was 2 dollars and then the splitters were 99 cents each. so i made a light for 26 dollars. everything from home depot too.

Namaste,

Shane
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »

Shane you are so patient.  I know I having a lot of trouble understand this lighting stuff.  I'd really like to see your set up. Kiss Kiss Kiss

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »

I am always happy to help. Ok the first picture is of the wiring. It was a simple job of twisting the wires together and screwing on the caps.

Next i flipped it over so you could see its a basic vanity bar.

Finally i screw in these Y splitters,

All together it looks like this.

Namaste,

Shane
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »

Very nice Shane!  So you use 6 of the 23 watt bulbs?  And this setup works well for greens, but not tomatoes?   Cheesy

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »

I built this for peppers and tomatoes. I personally believe you could grow what ever you want with this setup.
Yes, i used six 23 watt cfl 6500k bulbs in this setup.

Namaste,

Shane
goodgal
Forum Resident

Life is good!

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »

Just one more thing.  There are two different 5600K 23 watt bulbs.  One is an energy miser, with some small differences.  Does it matter?

Sandi
three classic 7's -
Pro 200
6 pod classic
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

As long as its as close to 6500k as you can get in 23 watt bulbs it will be okay. If you need to save money just get the regular bulbs 23 watt or better. You can usually find a 6 pack of lights on sale at walgreens and walmart. Both had the bulbs up to 23 watt. For heavy bulbs, go online and get them from 1000bulbs.com

Namaste,

Shane
Gadget Girl
Sprout

Kudos: 7

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:26 PM »

When I see the lumens required and the wattage of the bulbs I can't help but wonder what the cost in electricity to run something like that will be.  Have you done any calculations on what that costs run?  I am enjoying my inside gardening since I have a broken leg and can't garden outside this summer.  I have to watch how much I spend on my hobbies.

Herbs in SS6, tomatoes in 6 and Salad Greens in 6 Elite all purchased within 3 weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: