Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Saver 6 Question.  (Read 2549 times)
Lucid
Seed

Kudos: 0

« on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

Hello Everyone. I Recently purchased an Aerogarden space saver 6 (not the elite) and am getting all excited to use it Smiley. I just have a few questions. Are there any cycles where the pump stays on 24/7? And also, what size airpump and airstone would you recommend for this smaller aerogarden? Thanks for any help!

Peace,
   Lucid
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

AeroKnipp
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 46

Alberta, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »

Are there any cycles where the pump stays on 24/7?

Why would you want a 24/7 cycle?

The AeroGarden has a pump and airstone built in.

Kathy ... Falling in love with gardening again.

http://1stratearticles.com/Articles/Aerogarden_and_Hydroponics/

Jen in Ft Worth
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 39

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »

Hi Lucid!  What are you going to grow in your sparkling new machine??  Cheesy

Jen
2 6elite - herbs and arugula/mesclun, 3 elite+ - ruby heirlooms, bell peppers, and seed starting, 1 Classic - herbs, 1 white 6 - seed starting, 1 veggie pro - chili peppers
Lucid
Seed

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

Wow quick responses Cheesy

Well I read a lot of reviews before i purchased mine about the built in pumps somewhat harming the roots once they reach the water and that a separate airstone and pump is highly recommended. Am i correct in that the Salad setting runs the pump 24/7?

Jen, Anything I can make tea with  Smiley Starting with mint right now.
Jen in Ft Worth
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »

Fabulous - I've got 2 mint plants in my AGs.  I have tea every other day with those.  Enjoy!!   Cheesy  I've got salad going in an AG6.  The light definitely turns off at the same time as all the others.  I don't know when it comes on...  It does it all by itself so you don't <have> to know when it runs. (unless you want to, of course  Cheesy)

Jen
2 6elite - herbs and arugula/mesclun, 3 elite+ - ruby heirlooms, bell peppers, and seed starting, 1 Classic - herbs, 1 white 6 - seed starting, 1 veggie pro - chili peppers
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum Lucid!

The model you purchased is a 6 pod model with an air pump and airstone that runs 24/7.  The timing of the lights changes according to the setting you're using.  See the first table on "http://www.aerogrow.com/community/index.php/aerogarden-info-a-troubleshooting-faq/51-orders-returns-a-warranty-info-category/142-ltiming-of-light-and-pump-cycles.html".  In contrast the 7 pod models have water pumps which have different pump settings in addition to different light settings.

I haven't noticed that the air pumps hurt the roots.  I do replace the air stone and the plastic tube after each grow.  They can be bought fairly inexpensively at Walmart or an aquarium shop.  I haven't found the exact same airstone, but they appear to work just as well.

Enjoy your aerogardening!

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
Melissa in Michigan
Forum Resident

Kudos: 125

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »

Hello There, Lucid!   Smiley

You will very much enjoy the SpaceSaver6!    It is a WONDERFUL unit!!!   Smiley

I LOVE to grow Lemon Balm to add to my favorite Lady Grey Tea!!!   Cheesy 

ENJOY!   Smiley

AG Pro100 (X2) (?)/(?)
AG Pro200 (X3) Catnip/Herbs/Herbs
VeggiePro  Salad Burnet & Red Rubin Basil
AG 3 (X4) Lavender/Lavender/Lavender/(?)
AG SS6 (X4) Herbs/Herbs/ (?) / (?)
Emily's Garden - Arugula

Herbs: Various Basil, Chives, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Savory, Parsley, Sage, and also Mesclun
Valen9
Green Thumb

Kudos: 16

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »

Well I read a lot of reviews before i purchased mine about the built in pumps somewhat harming the roots once they reach the water and that a separate airstone and pump is highly recommended. Am i correct in that the Salad setting runs the pump 24/7?

The models where the pump gets all clogged up are the 7-pod models.  Models with an airstone don't have the type of pumps that get clogged.  Actually, they don't even NEED the airstone.

I just started my SS6 with lettuce.  The air pump runs 24/7.  I'm using the Salad Greens setting, which means the lights go off for some number of hours a day (I haven't figured out how many).

I recently took down my Elite+ which uses the same technology.  There was no problem with clogged roots, and I ran the thing with no airstone at all because it seemed quieter.  But my SS6 makes almost no noise so I haven't changed a thing.
Lucid
Seed

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Bab43, thats everything I needed to know! Wow you guys are really helpful. Answered all of my questions thoroughly in no time at all hah. Glad I joined this community. Any recommendations for some good tea herbs besides Lemon balm/grass and mint?
AeroKnipp
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 46

Alberta, Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:16 PM »

some good tea herbs

I have been thinking about tackling chamomile. The flowers make delicious tea.

Kathy ... Falling in love with gardening again.

http://1stratearticles.com/Articles/Aerogarden_and_Hydroponics/

peznin
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 41

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:55 AM »

I'm growing a catnip plant in one of my AGs and it is ridiculously happy in that environment. It's growing as robustly as basil does.  I'm growing it for my kitties, but I've heard others use it for tea...

Julie
One AG Deluxe (since Dec 07), one AG Classic (since May 09), one old school AG 3 (since Oct 09)

My AG gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/jsinger42/AerogardenPictures
Tin Man
AeroGardener

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »

Hello Everyone. I Recently purchased an Aerogarden space saver 6 (not the elite) and am getting all excited to use it Smiley. I just have a few questions. Are there any cycles where the pump stays on 24/7? And also, what size airpump and airstone would you recommend for this smaller aerogarden? Thanks for any help!

Peace,
   Lucid

In a Passive Hydroponics system using an airpump the pump is on non stop because the roots are absorbing oxygen from the water non stop and will die if they run out of oxygen.

I think the confusion is that in an Active Hydroponics system using a water pump there is often an Ebb and Flow schedule where the pump is on for part of the hour and then off. In these systems the pump turns off to give the roots time to absorb oxygen from the air.

I'm not some weed growing hydro expert, I just read up on the stuff before I bought the AG.

SS6 with Romaine kit.
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »

I'm not some weed growing hydro expert, I just read up on the stuff before I bought the AG.

haha I'm not either but learned a whole bunch from those guys

Namaste,

Shane
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

LOL - good laugh, as that is all that is in the hydro store when I go there.  I am a minority growing herbs and veggies.

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: