Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basil Thinning  (Read 1264 times)
skylighter
Green Thumb

Kudos: 17

« on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

After reading a few discussions about thinning basil down to one sprout per pod, I am still curious to difference of thinning versus non-thinning for Basil.

In my current 6 pods of unthinned basil, I noticed that the plants tend to naturally layer.  Within a pod, One plant will grow tall and one or more will grow medium or low.  There are no pods where the plants grew equally.  The tall plants produce the most leaf area, but they also grow quickly up near the lights.

Note, I prune my basil regularly and only leave one leaf pair per stem, instead of the two recommended by Aerogrow.  I do this to promote bushy plants.  This alone produces bushier, leafier plants.  But the tallest plants at some point simply need to be cut down to miss the lights and therefore become underperformers for a bit.  The smaller plants are always underperformers.

So I am theorizing that by removing the competition, that I can get 1 really bushy medium plant per pod.

In about a month, I am going to replant my 6 pod Basil Aerogarden.  I think I am going to thin 3 pods and allow the others to grow unthinned.  I will post results.

In the meantime, I would love to hear the thoughts of others experienced at growing Basil thinned or unthinned in the Aerogarden.
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

AeroKnipp
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 46

Alberta, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »

I thinned mine to three plants then cloned one and put it into a pot. I will probably thin it down to just one in the near future. It seems that the top leaves shade the bottom ones, and they do not grow as quickly.

Kathy ... Falling in love with gardening again.

http://1stratearticles.com/Articles/Aerogarden_and_Hydroponics/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: