Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a dwarf zucchini!  (Read 3775 times)
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

Kudos: 3

« on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »

I've been hunting around for zucchini and cucumbers that I could grow in my Aerogrow 6 elite+ when it finally comes.  I wasn't having a lot of luck, but I'm persistent, and my Google-fu is strong.  Well, I found some!!

Buckingham patio zucchini:  http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/veggies/summer.html  (You have to scroll down a bit, but the picture is -adorable-.

Miniature white cucumbers:  http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/veggies/cucumber.html  (Again, scroll down a bit.)

I'm also thinking of trying the little round zucchinis.  You're supposed to be able to stuff them, and that sounds awesome.  The only problem is that I'll have to order the seeds and then wait for them to get here, and my garden's gonna be here soooooooon...

On a related note, I'd like some advice about nutes: 

The elite+ comes with the mega cherry tomatoes kit.  My 'just do whatever and see what happens' instinct tells me to just go ahead and use those nutes for the zucchini and cukes rather than bother with hitting the hydroponics store just yet.   But I realize that I'm plunging into 'here there be dragons' territory, and my previous experience (that I can get by just fudging it) might not be accurate.

What say the collective?
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »

graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 66

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »

I don't know about the nutrients, but OH MY GOSH, you HAVE to try and grow that patio zucchini now! That is too cute!

Cynthia

3-AG6E+s, 2-Veggie Pros, 1-AG6E, 1-Classic, 2-AG3s

My grow log!
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »

I will be eagerly watching your zucchini--be sure to post lots of photos!

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
Corinne
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 373

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:46:09 AM »

Go for it!  I will be following from the start! 2 cute.

and I quote:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
MY VERY FIRST AEROGARDEN PROJECT
http://www.labordaytomatoes.blogspot.com
kforrest
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 28

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:54:10 AM »

I think you would be just fine using the nutrients from the tomato kit to grow the zucchini.  Good luck to you!

Kelly
SS6, UKG, AG3, Classic 7
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »

**Hangs head in shame**

I have no self control.  I hit the internet to buy some seeds today, and got packets of the potting zucchini and the miniature cucumbers.  Then I got to thinking:  What else could I grow?

So I checked a couple other sites.  I found miniature melons called 'Serenade' at Johnny's seeds that are softball sized, and you can cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, and put a scoop of sorbet in them.  And then I found miniature butternut squash.  I just discovered butternut squash and carrot soup in February.  I couldn't believe that it was -really- miniature, so I broke out the google-fu and  looked, and supposedly it bushes out to no larger than 18".   Oh, and there might have also been some miniature bell peppers. 

So then I said 'to hell with it', and got some round zucchinis.

... It was at about this point that my fiance came home, overheard me say in passing that there's more than one kind of basil (duh) and demanded that I order a pack of -every one-.  He wasn't kidding, either.  He wanted me to grow every kind of basil -- not just on that website, but -all of them-.  He was neutral towards this gardening thing until he discovered 'cut from the pot in the kitchen window' basil.  I didn't scour the internet for every type of basil ever, but I might have ordered three or four.

I have this problem with yarn, too.  I have two giant tubs of the stuff that refuse to go away despite all efforts at whittling them down.

I don't expect all of my attempts at growing things that really shouldn't be grown in the aerogarden to work, but since all of them will probably make good container plants, regardless, I figure there's no harm in it.  Seeds keep. 

So watch this space Smiley  I'm going to overcome my love of the idea of sorbet served in tiny melons and start with the little white cucumbers and zucchini.
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:49 AM »

LOL - I'm looking forward to your growing logs - should be interesting!  Cheesy

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »

I am looking forward to this too!

Cynthia

My grow log!
ocarolina
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 199

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »

triple ditto!

Carolyn
1 ag pro200, 2 ag classics, 1 ag6, 1 ag3, 1 home built rig
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 02:13:41 AM »

Wow!  I already got my first seeds today!  The dwarf zucchini and cucumber and bell peppers came.  (From Swallowtail Seeds).  I put them in only a couple days ago, and I chose their basic shipping package.  They actually beat the Aerogarden here, even though that was ordered way before.

I was thinking that I was gonna have to stand around with an Aerogarden and no seeds, twiddling my thumbs.  Instead, I'm good to go! 

The Aerogarden should be here tomorrow, and also tomorrow, I'll be heading to Ikea to get something to put it on, probably a shelf I can get my fiance to bolt to the wall.   And then it'll be seeds time!

So excited  Grin

graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »

Too cool! Always nice when seeds and gardens converge!

Cynthia

My grow log!
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »

I really can't recommend Swallowtail Seeds enough.  I can't believe how fast the seeds got here.  None of the other seeds I ordered have arrived.

They also sent it first class so that I could have package tracking, which none of the other companies did.  For the basic shipping.
kforrest
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »

Princessofcats, how are your zucchini and cucumbers coming along?

Kelly
SS6, UKG, AG3, Classic 7
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »

I picked up a thrip invasion somewhere or another, I don't know where.  I hang out with friends at night on the local college campus, and there's a lot of greenery there, so my suspicion is that some of them hitched a ride one of the weeks that I was there.  I've come home with all kinds of odd bug bites before.   

Anyway, the damage is such that once the park seed sponges that I ordered finally come (they took almost five days just to ship), I'm going to start them over again. Sad  I think the hard water in the area also took a toll, so I'm using distilled next go-around. 

I'm going to give the potted plants another spray tonight.  The bug control stuff is supposed to last for three weeks, but I'm already seeing evidence that the little bastards are bouncing back.   I'm starting to worry that the only way to get the problem under control will be to get rid of my potted plants, and I don't really want to start all of those over from seed again.   

It's very frustrating, but this is my style of learning.  I liken it to beating my head on a brick wall over and over again.  It may take a while, but assuming my skull doesn't crack first, I'll get through. 

The college I hang out at has a big agricultural division.  Maybe they're breeding super bugs that they're not telling us about.   Grin
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »

Yeah, part of the fun of learning is that raging headache from the pounding against the wall!  Grin

Sorry to hear you are still fighting the bugs. I know the feeling though, as cabbage caterpillar worms are getting to my collards. And then there are these gray looking aphids (at least I *think* that's what they are) that are also attacking en masse. I may need to go get some Safer's insecticidal soap and spray and also some of the stuff that kills caterpillars. Not sure if either is available locally, might have to make the drive to Hermiston and Home Depot. I'm doing my best to brush the aphids off and also spray them with water and am picking the caterpillars as soon as I spot them.

Next year I may have to have a better plan for protection/prevention. Some bug came in with me for the garden and alighted on the kitchen herb garden deck... can we say immediate SQUASH?

Cynthia

My grow log!
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 05:00:23 AM »

Quick update:

The seed sponges finally came, and the mini zuke and cuke were re-planted.  The cucumber came up fast, but the zucchini took a while.  I was worried that I'd put the seeds in too deep, but I think it's gonna do fine.  I'm worried about the bugs coming back, though. 

I'm going to move my potted peppers outside tomorrow to prevent them from contaminating my other plants.   They keep having problems, and I'm sorta getting tired of risking the other plants in my desperate bid to save them.
PCTutor
AeroGardener

SC, USA

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 05:41:23 AM »

Thanks for updating us on these. Please keep us posted on your progress. It's such an intriguing idea!

2 Pro200, Classic, SS6, Lady Bug 3, Silver Classic, Veggie Pro. Distiller to keep everybody happy.
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »

I'm going to move my potted peppers outside tomorrow to prevent them from contaminating my other plants.   They keep having problems, and I'm sorta getting tired of risking the other plants in my desperate bid to save them.

Sorry to hear these are still giving you a problem.  I never did get rid of the spider mites in my ornamental plant either.  I tried different treatments over the recommended period and they seemed to help, but in fact the problem kept coming back.  Because the plant was a gift, I've now taken cuttings in the hope of restarting it - it was getting fairly weakened because it didn't have proper drainage either.  Did you try transplanting?  It's not a guarantee either unfortunately.

Good luck with the cucumber and zucchini - I'm looking forward to seeing them!  Smiley

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

Yeah, sorry about the bugs. I moved my herb pot indoors, but didn't notice until it was in for a day or two that it had gray aphids on the arugula! When I saw that, I moved it back out again. I'm going to have to try and spray them with the hose or something, because there's a freeze tomorrow night and I need to bring it back in. But I REALLY don't want those getting on anything! I may just dig up that plant and toss it. I'm not seeing them so much on the actual herbs in the pot.

Cynthia

My grow log!
PrincessOfCats
Green Thumb

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:56:08 AM »

Well, the peppers are outside, and the cherry tomato got savaged again to get rid of any leaves that had spots on them.  The tomato seems to only get sick near where the peppers are/were, so I'm hoping that without them there, it'll bounce back and maybe be a healthy, big plant someday.    It's a bit annoying to me that I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I'd just moved the peppers outside a while ago.  I don't think I'm going to be a really good gardener until I learn to stop being sentimental.

The cucumber and zucchini are still doing well.  No sign of the return of bugs, yet.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: