Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Floppy Dill  (Read 1220 times)
AdamGrow
Sprout

Kudos: 3

« on: August 29, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

I noticed with my first go-around with the AG; the dill just sort of flops over rather than grows up like a normal plant. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was next to basil which ended up shading it from the light, and the 5 or 6+ inches difference of laying on the deck of the AG rather than being upright seemed to prevent it from getting enough light and it never did very well once it fell over.

Now on my second set of plants, and just a 2-3 weeks after planting, I'm already seeing the dill flop over. I tried propping it up on things, but it doesn't seem to work that well. It's still pretty delicate, so I don't think I can tie it up to a mini-stake or anything.

On a related note, I gave my dad some of my dill seeds which he planted in a pot with regular soil, and they seem to be much more sturdy. The growth is slower, but the heights are comparable at this point and his don't flop over nearly as much. There doesn't seem to be enough of an anchor with the AG, at least for the dill, and their main stalks are too flimsy to support the plant once they start to open up.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any ideas how to fix it or rig something up to support but not bruise the plants?
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 113

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

That's odd--I've grown dill twice, and it's stood up straight both times, eventually becoming almost woody at the base.  I'll bet your will get a strudier stem as it grows. Is there any way to put something like a bottle next to it, and loop a bit of something soft and elastic (like a strip of pantyhose, which is what I use on my outdoor tomatoes) around it to hold it up for the time being?

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
AdamGrow
Sprout

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:27 PM »

That's odd--I've grown dill twice, and it's stood up straight both times, eventually becoming almost woody at the base.  I'll bet your will get a strudier stem as it grows. Is there any way to put something like a bottle next to it, and loop a bit of something soft and elastic (like a strip of pantyhose, which is what I use on my outdoor tomatoes) around it to hold it up for the time being?

For better or worse (probably better in my case), I don't have any pantyhose. I'll rig something up, but I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and maybe a good solution. Thanks, though.
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 182

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »

Hi AdamGrow,

From your posts I can't tell for sure what type of water you're using, but if it's tap water, my advice to you would be to try a switch to distilled water.

Marianne

Flowers - Classic, VeggiePro
Cacti - AG3
My Picasa Gallery; AG Stereograms
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »

[/quote]

For better or worse (probably better in my case), I don't have any pantyhose. I'll rig something up, but I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and maybe a good solution. Thanks, though.
[/quote]

I don't wear pantyhoe, either (honestly, WHO thought any human woman could squeeze into a tiny nylon tube?  I'm skinny, and I can't do it and breathe!)  So, every spring, I buy a cheap pari at CVS just to be cut up as garden supports. 

Bobbie
Classic (DIY lettuce), AG3 (petunias), AG6 (chile peppers) and  Elite + (mega-cherry tomato), AG3 (cilantro) and an AG3 at work (mini-zinnias)
PCTutor
AeroGardener

Kudos: 28

SC, USA

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »

I do the same - I buy pantyhose at just a $1 per pair to use in planting and staking in my earthboxes. I really do get some strange looks from people - they're trying to figure out what a 60's+ old man is doing buying 5 or 6 pairs of pantyhose. Wink

Joel

2 Pro200, Classic, SS6, Lady Bug 3, Silver Classic, Veggie Pro. Distiller to keep everybody happy.
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »

Hey--Joe Namath wore them. What's to say he still doesn't?

Bobbie
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »

AdamGrow,  I take my advice on the distilled water - mine are flopping now too.  I do find that when I harvest around the edges as described in the manual, the new growth makes them more sturdy - somewhat...

One member grew a lot of dill and you'll see it can travel on grow deck "http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,1685.0.html".

Marianne

Cacti - AG3
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 66

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »

I haven't grown dill lately, but I did last year in my gourmet herb garden. I recall it as a very upright plant... constantly growing into the lights! I had as much or more dill to harvest even than the basil! It was highly productive!

Cynthia

3-AG6E+s, 2-Veggie Pros, 1-AG6E, 1-Classic, 2-AG3s

My grow log!
peznin
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 41

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »

Yeah, my dill was very sturdy once it was established...it was practically a tree!

Julie
One AG Deluxe (since Dec 07), one AG Classic (since May 09), one old school AG 3 (since Oct 09)

My AG gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/jsinger42/AerogardenPictures
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:16:07 PM »

Wow Julie!  Hope mine grows up like that...

Marianne

Cacti - AG3
graycyn
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 66

NE Oregon - zone 5a

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

That one is bushier than mine was Julie! Impressive!

Cynthia

3-AG6E+s, 2-Veggie Pros, 1-AG6E, 1-Classic, 2-AG3s

My grow log!
Bobbie
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »

Lush!

Bobbie
AdamGrow
Sprout

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 04:13:08 AM »

Wow, you guys have some nice looking dill. I hope mine can look like that.

For now, I have them supported by a plastic coated wire thing, and it seems to be doing the job. I am using distilled water for this crop after everyone said it made a difference, but I'm not sure it is. My stuff is growing well, but for some reason this crop and my last one can't shake off that white fuzzy fungus stuff, and between that and the H2O2 I'm using to try to kill it, maybe that's what's hurting my plants. Oh well, thanks for your responses.
bab43
AeroGarden Guru

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »

Hydrogen peroxide shouldn't hurt your plants.  If you see ungerminated seeds and can get them out easily with tweezers or something, that might help with the mold - but perhaps you're already doing that.  In case you don't have it, the reference is "http://www.aerogrow.com/community/index.php/your-plants-faq/61-bugs-and-other-strangers/116-LThereisWhiteStuffGrowingonMyGrowSpongesorPlants.html".

And yes, I did take back the suggestion of the distilled water.  I'm using it and still have floppy dill.  Wink  The new growth is better though...

Marianne

Cacti - AG3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: