Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venus Fly Trap  (Read 4673 times)
sprout83
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

As I was telling Ellen before, I was bidding on a Big Mouth, Venus Fly Trap on Ebay, and won! I should be receiving it within the next few days.

This is my first carnivorous plant, and I am really excited. I have been doing research on it, and have been in touch with the seller with questions too.
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:24 PM »

Oh! Congratulations on winning the bidding war Sprout!! I am REALLY curious to hear how you do with this one!!!   Smiley

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
sprout83
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »

Thanks Ellen. I received it today. It's been planted in its new pot. The seller even threw in an extra carnivorous plant because shipping wasn't as expensive as he thought it would be.

It's traps are shut at the moment.

Pinguicula agnata (the extra)

Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:19:08 AM »

Oh Sprout! They are SO cute. I understand how the Venus flytrap works, but how does the other one trap it's food? Is it sticky like fly paper or something???   Huh

sprout83
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

Thanks!

Yeah, something like that. From what I've been reading, they have carnivorous leaves in the summer only.

They should be a challenge to grow for sure. Cheesy
sprout83
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »

I thought there would be more people interested in carnivorous plants on here, lol.

Anyway, a few of the traps are starting to open! I have bought live crickets from the petstore to feed it. It's funny, crickets really scare me so I am going to have my fiance feed it. Although, I really do want to feed it, I don't want to risk the cricket jumping out of the tweezers when I'm holding it LMAO.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »

Oh.....that is TOO funny. Reminds me of my constant penchant for making my husband kill all the bugs who make their way into the house. Also reminds me that when I was in college I dated a guy who was really into fishing. I liked the action of fishing, I just didn't want to hurt a fish so I had him take the hook off of my jitterbug lure just so I could cast it and watch it bounce through the water as I reeled it in.   Grin

sprout83
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

I'm like you. Any creepy crawlies that get into the house MUST BE KILLED!! lol.

It even scares me to go into the room where we keep the crickets. I'm thinking about getting a cricket keeper also, lol. I'm sure it can't be good for those crickets to be crammed together in a tiny container.

I once had an ex boyfriend that told me that he had a surprise for me, and that it's inside his cupped hand. It turned out to be this huge grasshopper. Of course I screamed, lmao
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »

The same fisher guy in college also made me touch a slug once. Yuck.

Then one got into the house once back when my husband and I were dating. I turned a glass over top of it to trap it until he could come over to remove it.

Joyce
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 48

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »

You guys would have moved out if you lived with us the time we were taking care of a hurt bat.  The bat had a hole in its wing and couldn't fly so we brought it in to nurture it back to health.  We went to the library to find a book on bats and learn what it needed.  Well bats eat bugs so to the pet store to buy crickets.  Then we found out just how many bugs they eat...  TONS!  

Well that was getting expensive and the pet store couldn’t keep up with our demand so we found a place where we could have 1,000 live crickets sent to us.  The box arrived in 2 days.  Much to our surprise once we opened the cardboard box they were shipped in we found that there was nothing inside to contain the crickets. 1,000 live crickets started jumping out of the box all over the house.  We were all on our knees scooping up crickets.  

For the next couple of months sleeping in the house was a lot like camping with the sound of crickets chirping all night.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »

OH JOYCE!!! I just laughed so hard at the thought of that I woke the dog!!!!   Cheesy

I would have in fact, taken up residence at the local hotel.

sprout83
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »

OMG, Joyce that is my biggest nightmare! Who sends crickets like that?? Jeez

I told Jeff (my fiance) that I want to stun the crickets first by putting them in the fridge to make them slower, and there's less of a chance of them getting out of the traps. I know I plan to make him feed it outside in case they do get out LMAO.

PS. Me too Ellen! LOL

Oh and I like to put salt on slugs LMAO.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »

What does salt do to slugs Sprout?

H2O
Admin

Kudos: 22

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »

What does salt do to slugs Sprout?

It's a sort of skin treatment for them Ellen. I'm sure sprout can explain the rest. Wink

On my second garden with an AeroGarden Pro 100 - Since Dec. 2007
H2O
Admin

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »

I had venus fly traps when I was a kid, but have never seen them this big and colorful. Makes me want to get some again! Looking forward to your video sprout.

Thanks Ellen. I received it today. It's been planted in its new pot. The seller even threw in an extra carnivorous plant because shipping wasn't as expensive as he thought it would be.

It's traps are shut at the moment.

Pinguicula agnata (the extra)

H2O
Admin

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 08:26:54 AM »

Oh.....that is TOO funny. Reminds me of my constant penchant for making my husband kill all the bugs who make their way into the house. Also reminds me that when I was in college I dated a guy who was really into fishing. I liked the action of fishing, I just didn't want to hurt a fish so I had him take the hook off of my jitterbug lure just so I could cast it and watch it bounce through the water as I reeled it in.   Grin

LOL. My wife doesn't like to hurt the fish either! I would take her fly fishing on the lake and we would be in our own float tubes with flippers and all, but I'm no longer allowed to paddle away from her anymore. Two summers ago, I had paddled my way to the end of the lake and she had caught a fish by herself and I wasn't around to unhook it for her. She spent a good deal of time unhooking it and thought that she was going to kill it but she did manage to free it. After that traumatizing incident, I'm now on a short leash when we're on the lakes together.

sprout83
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

My fiance, Jeff loves to fish. I hate it though....I just don't have the patience, and plus I can't kill the fish either LOL. It's scary enough having to scale it and gut it. I have to wear gloves when I do that, LMAO.

Oh, I was telling Jeff that the only way that I would be able to feed my venus fly trap is if I wore a nuclear biological suit or something, LMAO.
sprout83
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

I put some more dirt around the base of the plant. I showed my pictures to the seller of the plant, and he reccomended doing so. It looks a lot happier now.

The Pinguicula agnata seems to be doing well also, and I think it will have sticky leaves soon. No more fly paper! LOL.
bruinfan
Leaf

Kudos: 6

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »

I don't know if you heard about the "terraforums.com", it's a web forum like this forum that deals just with carnivorous plants. I've been a member over there for about 4 years now. I was just given an aerogarden recently that's why I'm over here checking out this forum, when I saw the thread for Venus Fly Trap. I think the owner of petflytrap.com is now the operator of the Terra Forums. If you have any questions about growing your plants feel free to ask me, or check out the terra forums. I grow flytraps, pings, sarrs and Neps.

There is a pleasure in being mad, that only a madman can enjoy!
Ellen
Garden Hostess

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

Very good to have you Bruinfan! Welcome!   Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: