Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Greens and Herbs Together  (Read 2847 times)
sierra
Seed

Kudos: 1

« on: May 19, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »

I noticed in an older thread someone mentioned they had success with growing dill and basil with salad greens.
I got my first aerogarden as a gift and would like to plant basil, dill and some of the mesclun mix together.
I would also like to know if anyone had success with basil and romaine.  I live in the desert southwest, and already
have several thyme and rosemary plants that grow year round outside.  Chives is a no brainer in the windowsill. What I really want it basil (pesto addict here) year round. 

I also love the mesclun mix you get at the store, but its expensive and goes sour quickly in the fridge.

Any hints for growing herbs and greens together?  What plant setting would you recommend? 
Ive little knowledge of growing greens, and noticed they are cool weather plants.  Does the mesclun mix grow well in hotter weather?  (which, for me would be winter when the heat blasts.  Summer inside is a cool affair since I have a swamp cooler)

Thanks in advance!
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »

gisette
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 46

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »

Welcome to the addiction club, Sierra!

We have the same taste in herbs.  Grin I grew basil and dill with my first salad chef garden - just use the salad settings. I started with the salad chef kit, so my first garden was a mix of basil, dill, salad greens, mesclun mix, romaine, arugula, and baby greens - and I reviewed how that all worked out here:

http://www.aerogardengrowers.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html

You can start eating salad greens and basil at 21 days. Dill takes a little longer.

None of the salad plants I like grow well in warm weather/kitchen - they get too leggy fairly soon (2 mos.), while the herbs still have time remaining. Romaine is especially leggy when warm - just gets gangly and falls down, nuisance-wiseI plan on experimenting with heat-tolerant lettuces for my next 7-pod garden, because I keep the AC set at 78 in summer.

Aerogarden Pro 100 since Nov'07, 2 Mini/3's Feb'08, Deluxe Oct'08
sierra
Seed

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

Thank you for the advice! I decided to replace the parsley and mint (not a fan of either) with mache and mizuna (my own seeds) and just see how it goes.  The system is still set for herbs, is there a lot of difference between the herb setting and salad setting I wonder?

Ill keep my progress posted as well.  It definely seems addicting to experiment, I wish I had 2 aeros but my kitchen is small and it already looks like a UFO has landed in my house from outside.  My husband even designed a cute "screen" to place around the aerogarden so the light doesnt bother us while we watch tv :p

Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »

Hi Sierra...welcome!

I have one garden growing the gourmet herb kit, the other growing the salad garden kit. I think the only difference is that the salad greens setting continuously pumps water as opposed to the herb cycle, which I believe cuts on and off. Sprout or Gisette may be able to confirm that.

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
gisette
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »

There's a table at the back of the Aerogarden manual (that came in the box), saying what each setting does. I have a Pro 100, which has slightly different behavior (hours on/off/water pumping) for each setting (salad/herb/etc.) than the classic does.

sierra
Seed

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Thank you for all the info~  Much appreciated! 

Just to update - my mizuna sprouted in 1 DAY *OMG*  Not green sprouts yet, just the seeds taking off.  (i cant help but peek! XD)
I was suprised.
The mache seeds look like they are pushing out as well @,@  I put 6 mizuna in the pods and 4 mache...hope this was a good estimate.  Mache is hard to find here (occasionally at Whole Foods and pricey) so I would love to have success with it.

gisette
AeroGarden Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

Congrats, Sierra! Would love to see photos sometime when they're bigger. And if the mache stays successful, please consider adding it to the "successful custom seeds" listing.  Grin

sierra
Seed

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »

Just an update - the mizuna is HUGE - as large as the basil I planted 2 weeks prior.  The mache is super-tiny ...=(
Im going to replace the mache with endive, but I will post pics of my progress before I do so. (and once I take pics, will post in the other forum as recommended)
Im not sure if the mache slow growth has to do with the settings since I stuck with the herb settings...yet Im
getting the feeling its not a good candidate for the aerogarden. 
Joyce
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 48

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »

I found some of the greens just don't do well with tap water.  It doesn't seem to bother the herbs tomatoes or peppers but the baby greens and some of the greens in the mesclun kit will not grow in it.  I switched to distilled water and now everything grows much better.
drann
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 40

I love cukes!

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »

I was "Googling" Mizuna just to see if I could remember why I didn't order any seeds, lol, and found this delightful article which you probably already saw, but it was new to me:

http://www.simplyhydro.com/soiless_salad.htm

If it is edible it is not a weed.
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »

Great article Drann!!! It was new to me too.

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »

wonderful link, I learned a whole bunch about lettuce which explains alot about what im seeing in my classic

Namaste,

Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: