Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my own seeds  (Read 1390 times)
loujart
Leaf

Kudos: 1

« on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:13 AM »

Please tell me if I can use my own seeds that are not from the kits..If so, please let me know which type of kit to buy...I have not bought any yet..The seeds would be tomato and I would like to transplant the tomatoes outside by June...
Tks.,

When you retire and become old, please don't make "being miserable" your next achievement.
The less you do, the less you become.
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:13 AM »

kim marie turner
Forum Resident

Kudos: 33

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »

if you are looking to start plants, you need the garden starter tray. if you want to grow in the ag, use the master gardener kit. they are available for 6 or 7 pod Wink

3 AG classics (1 lettuces, 1 herb, 1 assorted flowers) AG3 with assorted flowers
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »

Which garden do you own? if its a 7 pod buy the garden starter tray

Namaste,

Shane
loujart
Leaf

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »

Thank you for answering...being with the info on what kit to buy in order to start my own seeds, which aerogarden should I purchase? I want to start  my tomato plants every spring with an aerogarden and transplant outside. I would also like to grow other veggies and herbs solely  indoors with it. I would really like to have one that grows enuff stuff in it too...Finally, what does ag mean?
Louise

When you retire and become old, please don't make "being miserable" your next achievement.
MaryH
Forum Resident

Kudos: 45

Ottawa, Canada and US

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »

AG is our short form for Aerogarden to save on typing.   

Someone else had mentioned some issue in getting the tray to sit on the 6 pod machines properly so I am suspecting it is the same tray but more geared towards 7 pod but can be used with regular 6 pod machines.

The garden starting tray now comes for 7 pod and /or 6 pod model but not the Space Saver 6 (SS6) till Sept.  I would not recommend the SS6 since advanced pictures of SS6 starter kit showed a lot less seed starting capacity at approximately half for the same price as full sized trays.  The 6 pod Elite model is just some metallic paint on a regular black model and probably not worth the $30 premium.  Elite + is just taller model of the 6 pod Elite, Pro 200 and Deluxe are just taller models of the Classic / 7 pod machines.  Not sure if you need taller model if you would just start seeds since most buy them for larger vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, etc.

I prefer 6 pod models since it is newer technology and easier to get kits and accessories going forward since Aerogrow has already started to de-emphasize 7 pod models and 7 pod models can have pump breakdowns.  But then I only have 6 pod model myself but looked at 7 pod seriously when I am considering another purchase since they had been great deals around like Sam's club's Classics deal, etc.

Hope this helps.

SS6, Black AG3 and Red AG3 waiting for planting.  Need to pickup purchased white AG3 and Black AG6.
loujart
Leaf

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:41:04 AM »

Mary, I am new new new at this aerogarden area. I have not purchased yet and do want to asap. So If I want to have six pod type of aerogarden and would like to start own seeds, I understand that I get the garden kit, correct?
And, if I also want to grow, lets say peppers, tomatoes in it  to maturity during the winter months, tell me what Elite  ?? I should purchase. I don't want the one that has pump problems...And I thank again,
Louise in Calgary

MaryH
Forum Resident

Kudos: 45

Ottawa, Canada and US

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »

Louise, knowing you are from calgary and another Canadian changes things.

Aerogarden's canadian website charges sizable shipping and are priced in USD.  Having gotton some replacements from them, I think shipping from US would take 3-4 weeks, maybe less due you promixity to Colorado but there is usually delay at customs.

To compare prices, you can look at both AG Canada in USD plus shipping converted and Eco-Source for C$ + $20 shipping
http://www.aerogardendirect.ca/promotion/index.php?promoName=catalog&pageName=homepage&r=1
http://eco-source.easystorecreator.com/

Your best bet would be to find one locally in Calgary, so look up with your postal code at
http://www.aerogrow.com/store-locator/store-locator-landing-ca.php 
and maybe let your fingers do the walking and call them to see what they have in stock.
I used Hyatt calgary's postal code and only found 14 sellers and 5 are defunct Linens n Things and 9 are Canadian Tire.

Canadian tire tend to carry them, at least in Ontario so you can also use their website and use inventory checking ability to see if there is one in stock.  Space Saver 6 tend to be C$ 149 plus tax there and AG3 (small one typically used for flowers are a little overpriced at $99 plus tax.

In Canada definitely a 6 pod model since 7 pod kits and accessories are harder to find and you almost always have to pay shipping.   I doubt you would find in stock at local retail that you can walk in a garden starting tray (i.e. seed starting kit)
http://www.aerogardendirect.ca/promotion/index.php?promoName=catalog&pageName=product&viewProduct=0069-00Z
or Deluxe Master Gardener Kit
http://www.aerogardendirect.ca/promotion/index.php?promoName=catalog&pageName=product&viewProduct=0529-00Z

Shipping is difficult from US and may be time consuming.  Considering it is now mid April that is pretty tight for early June transplanting, if it takes 2-4 weeks to ship from US.

To understand your situation and best choice, is price a big considertion?  Do you see yourself potentially having more than 1 AG in the future ?

Your practical choices are down to 3 6 pod models:
1. Elite + - the taller model can potentially grow tomatoes and pepper to maturity - may be difficult to find in Canada, likely to need it shipped.
2. Space Saver 6 SS6 is more easily available via Canadian Tire but will not grow full sized vegetables, maybe some minis tomatoes and peppers with heavy pruning and lots of care with probably only 2 plants in the machine.   
3. Aerogarden 6.  The Elite is a regular height model with some metallic paint / trim and not really worth the extra money over the regular Aergarden 6 unless you are willing to pay a premium for how it looks.

So if price is a driving factor, buy a SS6 from Canadian tire for C$149 and 1-2 seed kits and just try to use a similar kit to what you want and pick out the seeds if you can.  Total all in cost $170-200 plus tax.

If price is not an issue and you are willing to pay shipping, buy an Elite with mega cherry tomato kit + from EcoSource for C$249
https://eco-source.storesecured.com/items/indoor-gardening/indoor-aeroponic-gardens/aerogarden-6-elite-plus-br-with-mega-tomato-seed-kit-br-and-trellis-system-included-ag6ep-detail.htm
and a 7 pods starting tray and cut it to size for $37
https://eco-source.storesecured.com/items/indoor-gardening/indoor-garden-accessories-and-replacement-parts/aerogarden-starting-tray-agst-detail.htm
and the 7 pod garden
and maybe a deluxe master gardener kit for C$50
https://eco-source.storesecured.com/items/indoor-gardening/indoor-gardens-seed-kits/master-gardener-br-deluxe-kit-br-for-aerogarden-3-or-6-pod-br-new-product-agmg6-detail.htm
For total costs around C$300-400 plus tax after shipping.

Option number 2 of AG6 with the gourmet herb kit plus a garden starting tray is a middle ground and can be done for around C$210 + shiping and tax.

If you want to start tomatoes for outside, tomato kit is kind of expansive since it only comes with 3 plants and 3 spacers but have good nutrient for a first timer.   For a first indoor tomato plant the cherry tomato kit is a good idea.   For tomato starting for outside, seed starter tray, master gardener kit or modified pods of a purchased herb seed kit may be a better idea.

Hope this helps...

SS6, Black AG3 and Red AG3 waiting for planting.  Need to pickup purchased white AG3 and Black AG6.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: