Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edible Flowers Kit  (Read 5106 times)
drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 54

« on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »

Smiley  Hi all,
     Has anyone tried the edible flowers kit?   I just ordered it from Amazon last night.  I wanted to know do edible flowers taste good? I am very excited.

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.  ~H. Fred Ale
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »

MellowJello
AeroGardener

Kudos: 52

Tomande tomato; heirloom shape with hybrid yield!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »

I've grown snapdragons and marigolds outside before (they're still outside Grin).  Tried a few, they're definitely not tasty.  They're more for adding creative garnishes than anything else.  The perfume given off (marigolds) makes you hungry, but other than that, get your taste buds ready for an interesting treat!

Then again, these are different varieties; who knows, could be different   Wink.  Here's a way to get started early: if dandelions are in bloom, pick one (sanitize it!) and try it.  If you like it, you'll like the incredible edibles!

Goofball
Green Thumb

Kudos: 7

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »

They seem to run the gamut from peppery to bland to bitter.

I hear Calendulas are pretty tasty.

AG6 Elite+ (San Marzano Tomatoes), AG Classic (International Basil Kit)
drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »

Grin Thanks all for the quick replies.  I really appreciate it.  Cannot wait to get the flower kit now.

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.  ~H. Fred Ale
JT-Garden
Green Thumb

Kudos: 9

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »

Edible flowers? Well that's a first for me..  Grin

AeroGarden Classic growing Chillies and Tomatoes Grin
drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »

Smiley
     Good evening everyone.  I have had the edible seed kit in for a few days now.  Thanks to that Bonton.com deal on the AG3 on whomever started that thread. My flowers are just now 3 days old.  I am running them on Aerofalls nutrients 8-25-17 (start and flower) at a low concentration for the first 2 weeks.  I will then switch them over to the standard 16-8-16.  Here is a shot of them.  Marigold and Dianthus have already sprouted, still waiting on Yellow Snapdragons. 

PS: linking photos from Photobucket to be respectful of the boards bandwidth.

drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »

Yellow Snapdragons turned out not to have seeds in the pod.  I got replacement on the way from Aerogrow.  So I put in the second Marigold.  Am getting excited.

drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »

Smiley

Good day everyone.  My incredible edibles have all sprouted and are on the way.  Pictured are 2 Marigolds and a Dianthus. 

monica435
Green Thumb

Kudos: 8

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »

I planted marigolds in my seed starter tray to plant in my front yard and those suckers sprouted fast.  Your sprouts look great.

Black Classic - Mesclun Mix/Arugula/Mint
White 3 Pod - Cottage Garden minus Stock replaced with Lavender
Pro100 - Gourmet Herbs
drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »

Thanks Monica,
     I am intrested to see them all grow so fast.  I never really got into flowers before, but the idea of edible ones really has me intrested.  I will post some updated photos soon. 

drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »

Smiley

Hello everyone,
        The incredible edibles are taking off.  Here are some fresh shots.

Goofball
Green Thumb

Kudos: 7

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »

Even the seedlings are colorful.

AG6 Elite+ (San Marzano Tomatoes), AG Classic (International Basil Kit)
Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

They are indeed! Very pretty looking plants drdave!

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »

Smiley
     Hey all,
      The edible flowers are getting some growth and looking pretty cool.  It appears a zebra and lion have got in on the action as well.

kim marie turner
Forum Resident

Kudos: 33

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »

great pics! i'd watch those guys from madagascar, they're pranksters lol.

3 AG classics (1 lettuces, 1 herb, 1 assorted flowers) AG3 with assorted flowers
kim marie turner
Forum Resident

Kudos: 33

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »

i just odered the ag3  Roll Eyes so i'm curious to see how your flowers taste and how you eat them. please keep us updated

3 AG classics (1 lettuces, 1 herb, 1 assorted flowers) AG3 with assorted flowers
MellowJello
AeroGardener

Kudos: 52

Tomande tomato; heirloom shape with hybrid yield!

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »

Just a heads up, marigold leaves smell rather... nauseating.  It might not seem like it now, but it'll smell funky once it gets bigger.  Works well to keep garden pests away, however.  And the flowers do smell nice  Wink

drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »

Smiley
     Good morning all.  Got some updated pictures of the edible flowers growing away.  Sorry for not being on the past couple of days, ran my thumb through a slicer and is making it difficult to type.  I would post pictures of the damage, but it would probably gross everyone out.  Anyway here are the Marigolds and Dianthus shots. 

drdave501
AeroGarden Addict

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

Grin
     Good evening all,
        The Incredible Edibles are taking off like crazy.  Here are a couple of fresh pictures.  I hope everyone enjoys.  Also, would it be possible for me to get a grow log?  I have been doing tons of extra shots and would love to compile them all.

Look at the Marigolds go!

Dianthus is Carnation yes?

Josie-Lynn
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 67

Snow Peas

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »

Dianthus has about 300 species.  It's in the Caryophyllaceae family.  Carnations are Dianthus, but so are Pinks and Sweet William.  I've never grown the edible flowers, so I'm not sure what species of Dainthus is contained in the kit. 

JOSIE-LYNN:  20 Aero Gardens (you can see my house from space!)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: