Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often do you change your lights?  (Read 1632 times)
dcherry
Green Thumb

Kudos: 4

« on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »

I'm curious about how often you (really) change your lights?  Do you faithfully change them each 6 months when the light comes on or do you  Wink stretch it out a bit?  If you stretch - how long?  Roll Eyes 

Thanks for your input!

Having fun with my AeroGardens!!
Debra
Aerogarden Growers Community Forum
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »

Ellen
Garden Hostess

Kudos: 150

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »

Hehehe. You caught me dcherry. I've had most of them for almost a year and have not. I ordered new bulbs recently though and do really notice a difference as I am making my way through replacing them.

1 Deluxe, 2 Classics, 2 AG3's
shane arthur
Garden Host

Kudos: 252

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »

I wasn't expecting there to be a difference, i thought it was a sales tactic to be completely honest. Sure enough, the new bulbs are "whiter" and brighter than the old ones. So i am going to order some replacements for my pro 200 and ill be updated hehe

Namaste,

Shane
JellyDonut
AeroGardener

Kudos: 10

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »

You know Shane, changing your lights out on your deluxe may have caused your tomato leaves to curl.  I know from running reef tanks a number of years ago that when you change out power compacts it is recommened that you raise the lights above the tank and then lower them down to the original height over the course of a couple of weeks.  I don't know if the same applies to the AG or not, but it would make sense.  As the light spectrums start to fade from the bulbs the plants/corals become used to the light levels.  Then when there is a change they are all of a sudden exposed to a much higher light spectrum and UV radiation.  In aquariums that shock can kill corals, but like I said I'm not sure if the same applies to the AG or not.

3 AG6 Elite +'s and 1 AG6 Elite
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

I thought of that, but the leaf curl started with the old bulbs. I'm into corals too and understand what your saying about light acclimation. good thought.

Namaste,

Shane
rangergord
AeroGardener

Kudos: 13

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »

If you stretch the life of your bulbs, you will have to accept lower light intensity.  I have the pro200 with three flat CFL's instead of two cylindrical
CFL'S as are in the classic. The pro and deluxe models already have almost twice the light output of the classic.   So if I loose some light over time I fiqure it can't be any worse than running at classic light levels.  Running the aero garden everyday for a month, say 16 hours a day average  16 x 30 = 480 hours x12 months per year = 5760 hours.   A cheap CFL bulb is supposed to last 6000 hours,  better quality CFL's should last 8-10 000 hours.  I plan to try stretching mine to 12 months before I replace,  the longest I could possibly go 1 year and about 10 months.  Ok in a crisis but maybe a bit too dim for optimal results.  The only way to know for sure is to measure your bulbs light output with a light meter.  I might get one sometime, about 20 bucks I think.  Hey thats what new bulbs cost.  I'm gonna do it. Grin 
PVtx
AeroGarden Addict

Kudos: 20

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:13 AM »

I've had my first two AGs for just over and just under a year now... I'll confess that I haven't changed the bulbs either. I was having problems with growing in my deluxe... and changing the bulbs was going to be a last resort, but the tomatoes in there now seem to be doing just fine Smiley I also haven't noticed any problems at all with the growth rates in my classic. I'm... going to see how long I can possibly push it Grin

One classic, one deluxe, & one Elite-6+
Aerogardening since Christmas '07
Aphraeleiss
AeroGardener

Kudos: 2

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

I've only just started but I actually wrap one of those car windshield reflectors around the Aerogarden to block some of the light and to increase the light intensity to the plants. They seem happy so far. If and when the bulb intensity starts to dim I'll put it closer to the windowsill and supplement it with morning sun. I don't intend to change it every 6 months for environmental reasons, and because it's so hard to get in Australia. I dread to think when I need to change filters.

Don't feed the troll.

Back to tap water for the calcium.
shane arthur
Garden Host

Pasadena Texas

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »

I will probably replace mine once a year. they are easy to get here im just being cheap hehe

Namaste,

Shane
nascar81054
AeroGarden Guru

Kudos: 55

To Protect and Serve Las Animas, Colorado

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »

I won't replace mine until I have to.

1 Black Deluxe since August 08' / 1  White Deluxe December 08'
ras8779
Sprout

Kudos: 1

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »

I had my Pro100 for almost 2 years before I changed the bulbs but once I did it made a BIG difference in how my lettuce grew.  I really think they should be changed as suggested.  I just didn't realize what a difference it would make.  I thought it was a way of selling more bulbs but the light intensity does lessen the older the bulb gets and I think the plants don't grow as fast or as healthy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: