UPDATE: Because of pictures are deletet I reuploaded it here on my Blog: http://www.zischka-online.de/2011/09/25/aerogarden-umbau-auf-e27-sockel/
As I has written in my introduction post I use my aerogarden with standard bulbs, because I live in Germany and there are no original bulbs available. A few of you asked me how I did this and I promised to make a little picture story…
FIRST OF ALL: Everything I do chancels my warranty on the aerogarden. If you never worked before with a screw driver or a claw don’t try to do it by yourself. Be CAREFULLY, on the aerogarden is a voltage with 230 or 110 watts! I really tickles if you touch the power lines accidently… I do not take any responsibility if something goes wrong!
So here we go: ;-)
These package was shipped today from my aerogarden dealer.
Surprise, surprise… They forgot to also send me a seed kit. I don’t need the seeds but the little white pots.
All the parts on my table.
On the left side you see my first aerogarden. He works with standard bulbs already. It is hard to see on the picture, but the standard bulbs are shining much brighter than the original bulbs.
At the moment I’m growing strawberries in my first garden. I bought two plants in a local DIY market. I spitted it in six little plants which I gave into the aerogarden.
That’s my first strawberry! :-) Then I bought the plants there was not a single flower on it. I think that’s a good result in only two weeks. I’m using a liquid fertilizer and I also control my PH and EC values. Maybe I will tell you more later on in another threat.
O.K. back to the current project! On the table is everything you need: 2 bulbs with daylight color (light color 865 in germany), a few luster terminals, screwdrivers, power line cable, two components glue, two bulb fittings and different clamps.
Put out all the screws I marked with read circles. There is no need to sort the screws, because there is only one kind of screws in the whole aerogarden. This makes it more easy to assemble it again. Everything has to go smooth, don’t use power. Otherwise you would maybe damage your garden.
Disassemble the reflector from the reflector case.
Here you can see the power supply.
Move out the bulb fittings upwards. They are not fastened.
Put out the two screws from the socket.
Now take it out. It should looks like this.
Cut of the power line from the supply socket on the end near from the bulb sockets.
Do the same on the other side.
Now you have two separated parts as shown on the picture.
Stripe up the end of the power cables.
Should look like these.
Now we have to prepare the bulb sockets.
The problem is that there is realy not much space between the reflector and the reflector case. So we need to shrink it down as much as possible. First I disassemble the top of the bulb sockets, we don’t need it.
Bulb socket without top.
Now we have to break away the half of the outer housing.
Only if you do this, the now socket will find enough space to fit in.
Here you can see the new bulbs for the bulb sockets.
Screw the bulbs into the sockets.
Break away the two marked plastic noses.
Should looks like this.
Put the bulbs / sockets into the reflector. They are not fixed. They just laid in to.
Put the reflector back into his case. So you can see if everything fits.
Now align the bulbs in to the position they should stay. I use luster terminals to get the right space between bulb and reflector.
If everything looks good we have to glue it with the two components glue.
The glue has two parts: The harz and the harder.
Take one spoon of the harder in the little bowl…
and fill it up with the harz and mix it together.
Put the glue on that places there the bulb socket and the reflector should glue together.
That’s enough for the outside. Let it dry now at least 15 minutes.
Do the same on the inside.
Now we need the power cables and the luster terminals.
Assemble it like shown on this picture.
O.K. first test. Put in the plug into the reflector first an than plug in the main power plug into the power connector in your wall. Everything looks good. The bulbs are lighting. Then pull out both power plugs again.
Assemble the power socket on the reflector with the two screws.
Sort the cables like shown on the picture.
Put the reflector back into his case. And screw in the 8 screws. Everything should go smooth, don’t use power. Thing about everything is build in plastic not in metal.
Screw in the bulbs.
Just another test. Looks good… ;-)
Here we go: We are finished and we can use our aerogarden now with standard bulbs!
I hope this information is interesting for a few of you. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.